Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dodged a bullet...

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I had to take the Demon today for it's NYS inspection this morning...the shop is owned by a friend of mine...so what shoulda taken 20 min..ended up takin 2 hrs. (some other guys showed up..and we just hung out...My wife was just finishing getting her hair done...she calls me and we agree to meet for lunch at this little hot dog stand by the lake...now were coming from opposite directions..2 miles from the hot dog stand we end up side by side on the same road at the redlight..(four lane road and now were going in the same direction)..light turns green I jump on it a bit...and she comes flyin by me...now this road were on has a mile upgrade hill over a bridge (railroad tracks)..but its kind of a long slow grade to the top...on the other side the drop is more pronounced...everybody knows you scrub off speed to the legal limit going over the bridge..(cops sometimes use it as a speed trap..)...well she thinks this is some kinda race..and she aint slowin down...we crest the hill...shes in front..by 2 cars maybe..Im flashin my lights like crazy tryin to get her to slow down..well we crest the hill...I'm doin 85..her maybe 90...well in the bushes at the bottom...not one,,but 2 Law dogs..not runnin radar but door to door shootin the breeze..(this is a 55mph zone)...here they come... two cops...mid 30's Id say...they take both our info back to one car...now I know there runnin the plates..insurance...warrant checks ..all the normal crap...5 minutes in...cop three shows up...now I'm thinkin WTF...there gonna make an issue of this...I get outta the car to go to my wife's car..first cop barks sir..get back in your car.. finally all three approach 2 go to my wife;s C8 the other to me..now hes professional..almost cordial...He says..you own both of these cars?...yes sir I do...he asks what relationship do you have with Margaret (wifes name)..I said shes my wife..and when this is over..I'm puttin my foot in her ass for not slowin down...I get a slight smile...then he asks..were you two racing...I felt my only way out was to continue with a bit of levity ..I said with all due respect officer...it's a corvette...this is a demon...I wouldnt waste my time...he said...we heard you guys leave the light..(a mile away mind you)...I like cars..I'm surprised she was ahead of you...they only kept us there for bout 20 minutes...during the conversation he said..never pulled over two senior citizens drag racing much less a husband and a wife...the 3rd cop showed up just to see the C8..he couldn't care less bout the demon...no tickets...just a warning..he did ask...i see a motorcycle endorsement on your license as well as the CDL...he said tell me you don't ride one of those crotch rockets...I said what would you like to hear officer

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
At those speeds in a 55 zone, you had somebody watching over you from above! :)

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Good encounter, they will be proud of that story also.

OP
1971demon

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Thread Starter #4
Good encounter, they will be proud of that story also.
I dont think they had a real good idea how fast we were going......the way they were positioned..the car closest to us..was facingte weeds..the other the street..they obviously were just shootin the breeze...I gotta admit i was not pleased with my wife on this one..and I let her know...(for pretty much the rest of the day..)she said a couple hrs later your just mad cause i beat you.. I said now's whos bein an idiot..(didnt go over well)...this will go on into tmro for sure...:mad:

HarleyHetz

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
ARLINGTON
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Sublime Widebody Challenger Hellcat
Haha, good story, NOT the way I was afraid it was going to turn out when your wife wouldn't slow down!!:oops:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Good story, make sure you tell the kids, you'll earn some Street Cred.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Good story and those damn corvette driver's their all the same:whistle:. Hope the local news doesn’t get this story or should I say the BLM:unsure: cause the W privilege will be the subject:oops:. And just to share with you what’s going on in my neck of the woods the NAACP is investigating a traffic stop.
https://www.loudountimes.com/news/n...cle_8a4b69e4-cdcc-11ea-aa44-574f1fe854a2.html

And oh yeah you need to tell the spouse your taking the keys away for a week for that type of behavior :whistle: let us know how the unhappy wife unhappy life is doing:geek:.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Could have been a lot worse. Both cars impounded and multiple tickets/fines/imprisonment. Glad it worked out, I never had such luck when I lived in that area.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Could have been a lot worse. Both cars impounded and multiple tickets/fines/imprisonment. Glad it worked out, I never had such luck when I lived in that area.
Yeah and thank goodness @1971demon had his wife their to save his ass you know how those beauties win over the police:whistle:. And you just know if it was just @1971demon he would have had his W privilege revoked and looks do play out:p

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
You should have requested citations so you could live with the guilt from your privilege. [biggrin]

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Haha, good story, NOT the way I was afraid it was going to turn out when your wife wouldn't slow down!!:oops:
[bash]

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I dont think they had a real good idea how fast we were going......the way they were positioned..the car closest to us..was facingte weeds..the other the street..they obviously were just shootin the breeze...I gotta admit i was not pleased with my wife on this one..and I let her know...(for pretty much the rest of the day..)she said a couple hrs later your just mad cause i beat you.. I said now's whos bein an idiot..(didnt go over well)...this will go on into tmro for sure...:mad:
It’s just a fact, not an insult, but most women do not have the same feeling as men when it comes to cars or racing. She had no idea what was going on when you were flashing your lights. Just about everyone understands it’s a warning. Of course she was caught up in the moment and you could have backed off a lot more. Too bad she beat you. LOL

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
It’s just a fact, not an insult, but most women do not have the same feeling as men when it comes to cars or racing. She had no idea what was going on when you were flashing your lights. Just about everyone understands it’s a warning. Of course she was caught up in the moment and you could have backed off a lot more.
Wait wait holy crow I am just now realizing this and WOW the Wife and the Corvette was how many car lengths ahead of a DEMON???? No wonder @1971demon was flashing his lights he couldn't stand it the WIFE is smoking his ass:p

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I had to take the Demon today for it's NYS inspection this morning...the shop is owned by a friend of mine...so what shoulda taken 20 min..ended up takin 2 hrs. (some other guys showed up..and we just hung out...My wife was just finishing getting her hair done...she calls me and we agree to meet for lunch at this little hot dog stand by the lake...now were coming from opposite directions..2 miles from the hot dog stand we end up side by side on the same road at the redlight..(four lane road and now were going in the same direction)..light turns green I jump on it a bit...and she comes flyin by me...now this road were on has a mile upgrade hill over a bridge (railroad tracks)..but its kind of a long slow grade to the top...on the other side the drop is more pronounced...everybody knows you scrub off speed to the legal limit going over the bridge..(cops sometimes use it as a speed trap..)...well she thinks this is some kinda race..and she aint slowin down...we crest the hill...shes in front..by 2 cars maybe..Im flashin my lights like crazy tryin to get her to slow down..well we crest the hill...I'm doin 85..her maybe 90...well in the bushes at the bottom...not one,,but 2 Law dogs..not runnin radar but door to door shootin the breeze..(this is a 55mph zone)...here they come... two cops...mid 30's Id say...they take both our info back to one car...now I know there runnin the plates..insurance...warrant checks ..all the normal crap...5 minutes in...cop three shows up...now I'm thinkin WTF...there gonna make an issue of this...I get outta the car to go to my wife's car..first cop barks sir..get back in your car.. finally all three approach 2 go to my wife;s C8 the other to me..now hes professional..almost cordial...He says..you own both of these cars?...yes sir I do...he asks what relationship do you have with Margaret (wifes name)..I said shes my wife..and when this is over..I'm puttin my foot in her ass for not slowin down...I get a slight smile...then he asks..were you two racing...I felt my only way out was to continue with a bit of levity ..I said with all due respect officer...it's a corvette...this is a demon...I wouldnt waste my time...he said...we heard you guys leave the light..(a mile away mind you)...I like cars..I'm surprised she was ahead of you...they only kept us there for bout 20 minutes...during the conversation he said..never pulled over two senior citizens drag racing much less a husband and a wife...the 3rd cop showed up just to see the C8..he couldn't care less bout the demon...no tickets...just a warning..he did ask...i see a motorcycle endorsement on your license as well as the CDL...he said tell me you don't ride one of those crotch rockets...I said what would you like to hear officer
Only 85mph, very disappointed, LOL.

Beast707

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Carol Stream
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger WB M6 Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
2 senior citizens drag racing definitely is a free pass! That's what's up!:cool:

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
That was great. Sounds like something my wife and I would do. We are very competitive and we both like to race. Glad the cops were nice and gave you no tickets. Enjoy your rides.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2 senior citizens drag racing definitely is a free pass! That's what's up!:cool:
Yeah sounds like @1971demon needs to work on his launch technique oh that’s right you need about an half hour or more to prep the Demon for the real
deal:D

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
I enjoyed your story @1971demon I could go along and picture it all in my mind like seeing it in a movie!!

I hope you and Margaret have a Great day smiling some more how lucky you both were !

Linda :)

OP
1971demon

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Thread Starter #19
I was really afraid it might end up that way..that would have been a real problem...no way ANYBODY takes my Demon away on a roll back...I think the fact we are mid 60's had something to do with it..plus its not liked they had us on radar.....and I think the one cop found my foot in my wifes ass comment amusing..but even still my wife thinks she whopped the snot outta the Demon...

OP
1971demon

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Thread Starter #20
Yeah sounds like @1971demon needs to work on his launch technique oh that’s right you need about an half hour or more to prep the Demon for the real
deal:D
We will settle this speed dispute at a later date...but she seized the opportunity to call our son and tell him how she pulled me by 2 car lengths...(thank god he knows better)