Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Do you cover the two air vents on the hood before a car wash?

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Helps to put towels underneath...

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thought about just using plastic wrap, but I figured it wouldn't take kindly to my pressure washer - LOL.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
For those who don't have a crane, or live in Hunter's neck of the woods where nature provides frequent undercarriage cleansing, there are other ways to keep the important parts of vehicles clean. Namely, using a forklift or pallet forks. DSCN3484[1].JPG DSCN2904.JPG
Okay, washing wasn't the purpose here, but you get the idea.
Two days ago we got a shavings delivery, and the guy ended up buying a Jeep before he left.
The second photo shows the easy way to move a car, before putting it on a trailer for transport.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
We paid $110,000 a piece for them in '87, as tax payers. I got the forklift/crane one (pictured) for about 1/10 of that, with 91 miles on it.
And yes, they get to be productive here, instead of taking up space on some government property.

B5Cat16

Member ID
Reactions
City
S
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
It’s not a matter of any damage or not. It isn’t that easy to detail your engine compartment and I always like mine to look like new. If you get water and soap in there, it will eventually show it. It may be different if you treat it like a daily driver but I always treated mine just like my classic show car.
I agree with you SilverBillet. I kills me to water on my HC but I know it's the safest way to clean it. I wouldn't even consider taking a hose to my classics unless it was ABSOLUTELY necessary. Pollen season is a nightmare for me.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
You guys probably don't completely agree with that everything from my '14 Ram 1500 to my girlfriend's '19 911 Turbo S and everything in between have been washed exactly once, each. That was a couple of months ago.

And that was only because a local wanna-be car detailer had a special. He spent two days washing cars here.
The nice ones have never been driven in rain so the important bits are still clean, but they don't really seem to be running any better than they did before the wash.

Yes, we very much enjoy these cars, but think it's much more enjoyable to drive them (and fast) than to try to keep them clean. I can't stand rust, or dirty undercarriages, but dirt and bug splatters doesn't really bother me that much.

Mopar gummy

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
ESTERO
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
18 Charger Hellcat