Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Demon @ 808 vs. Redeye 797.

Rollieman

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hamilton
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Is it just the hood that gives the Demon the 11 additional HP or are there other factors?

I'm aware the engines are virtually identical and both are factory tuned for 91 octane.

Thank you !

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
They like to advertise it that way but the Ecu’s are calibrated differently from what Ive read. I think the hood has no real effect if I remember correctly. I think the Charger shows that. The 2020 limited editon Charger has 717hp with the same hood as the rest.

Demon1

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Naples
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Demon
They would never starve the engine for air by limiting the intake system. The hood can supply more than the supercharger can pump. I suspect it's in the tune, but there could be a difference in the cam since the Demon can step up to 840.

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
According to FCA it's the hood and a slight tweak in the ECU (IIRC). The track is where it matters. Demons will rarely run the 808 tune (for obvious reasons), but overall the Demon will have a slight edge (depending on the way it's configured for weight) and softer suspension for 60ft. The times I've seen posted are very close and comparable at the track.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I wood say take the hood off both and see what happens. Tune for 110 and let em fly. No forced air and let it come down to pure hp.

WildCat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kakastan
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
If we assume not all races are 1/4 mile shootouts...then it actually depends on what race is being run. :unsure:
1 mile / 2 mile runs for example, the demon will not be able to hold the lead in 808 mode. 11 hp simply wont do it.
The redeye has the notible edge at speeds approaching & certainly moving over 150'sh mph, due to the reduction in drag the raisin bran hood has over the demon hood (per FCA). I also think the demon is slightly taller stock/stock than the HC/redeye.
Both elements factor in to limit its top end capability from an aero standpoint and with that, the HC/RE would begin to gain any lost ground back that a demon possibly took during the 1st 2000 ft.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
The engines are identical. Possibly a small difference in the tune. The redeye hood also lets less air in then the demon. If you look at where the redeye hood seals to the filter it is smaller yet there is room for it to be the same size as the demons. They purposely made it smaller.

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Chall SRT Hellcat Redeye
It would be a driver's race...

PIPO

Member ID
Reactions
City
Manhattan
State
KS
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 C7 Z06

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Assuming the RE has drag radials as well.
and skinnies like the Demon.....fair is fair. Or we could always make the Demon race on Redeye wheels and tires and give the Redeyes Demon wheels and tires and see what happens.:eek:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Or they just publish 797 to not hurt Demon owners feelings? I mean we're talking about a less than 1.4% difference in power output. Anything done to the intake and or ECU would certainly be more than that.

I have both the Demon and Redeye tunes. The big difference I've seen in the RE has the knock sensors turned down a lot more than the Demon's normal PCM. Infact the RE tune matches that of the Demon crate PCM in terms of knock window settings.

PIPO

Member ID
Reactions
City
Manhattan
State
KS
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 C7 Z06
@Speedy! You're probably right.

555 Redeye

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fairborn
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 SRT Jailbreak
According to FCA it's the hood and a slight tweak in the ECU (IIRC). The track is where it matters. Demons will rarely run the 808 tune (for obvious reasons), but overall the Demon will have a slight edge (depending on the way it's configured for weight) and softer suspension for 60ft. The times I've seen posted are very close and comparable at the track.
Yup, raced a Demon back in July that was on 808 tune and I took the W with a margin of .0457 which was pretty much the hole shot I got on him, margin of .0421.