Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dealer hasn’t been draining my oil cooler

Member ID
Reactions
City
Nashville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Challenger Hellcat
Was at the dealer getting my oil changed and walked back to the service bay . The kid that was changing it said he was done and about to put the under carriage plate back on . We joked and talked about how he is the one that always changes my oil . I then asked him if he drained my oil cooler and he said what oil cooler !!! I said for the engine oil he said I didn’t know it has one and went in and talked to a SRT tech and came back and said well it does and took down more of the under carriage plates and drained what looked like about a half quart . Needless to say I was pissed because I realized he had never done this before !! I was so mad I just left out of fear of someone saying the wrong thing to me and snapping and going to jail !! When I cooled off I called the service manager and he said let me call you back ! The next day he called and said he fired both oil change techs and was going to talk to the owner of the dealership about how he could make this right with me . I’m waiting on his return call by this Thursday with their response as to how to deal with this ! I have reached out to Dodge about this and am waiting on their response also !!!

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Well that is crap. Definitely get it documented with Dodge for warranty purposes and see what the dealership is going to offer you going forward. That said, 5oz left in the oil cooler per oil change interval isn't going to harm anything IMHO. Sure, will dilute the new oil a little but nothing to harm your engine long-term. Let us know what you find out.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Why wasn't the SRT Tech the one working on your SRT to begin with?
Seems like they hung those guys out to dry and it was someone else's fault.

OP
Big City AL
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nashville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #4
I couldn’t for the life of me figure out why I was using about a half quart to a quart of oil between changes . But so far since it was done correctly this time it hasn’t used any oil !!! I’m patiently waiting on them to reply and will let you all know what they say !!

OP
Big City AL
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nashville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
I agree why wouldnt They have at the very least have a SRT tech teach these kids how to service a SRT vehicle !! I never intended for these young men to get fired .

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Why wasn't the SRT Tech the one working on your SRT to begin with?
Seems like they hung those guys out to dry and it was someone else's fault.
Most dealerships, at least in my neck of the woods, have a quick lube setup attached to the dealership. Assuming they don't want SRT techs bothered with oil changes? Always a little on edge when it gets serviced, but a tech named Joe has done the last 2 oil changes and is very thorough...I watch most of it. I tip him as well as I appreciate his attention to detail.

OP
Big City AL
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nashville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
Most dealerships, at least in my neck of the woods, have a quick lube setup attached to the dealership. Assuming they don't want SRT techs bothered with oil changes? Always a little on edge when it gets serviced, but a tech named Joe has done the last 2 oil changes and is very thorough...I watch most of it. I tip him as well as I appreciate his attention to detail.
I’ve tipped them and brought them breakfast and cold drinks . They are not training their employees correctly . I am buying race ramps and will be doing my own from now on !!!

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I’ve tipped them and brought them breakfast and cold drinks . They are not training their employees correctly . I am buying race ramps and will be doing my own from now on !!!
Should be doing that myself as well...but got a good deal on 7 oil changes through Mopar plan. Luckily I found a dealer 60 miles away I trust, so that is that.

Lord Hellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Barking
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
It is annoying but not that bigger deal. When you drain the sump you never get all the old oil out of the engine. Some will be sitting in the oil galleries etc. Even draining the cooler you will still have oil left in the oil lines.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Should be doing that myself as well...but got a good deal on 7 oil changes through Mopar plan. Luckily I found a dealer 60 miles away I trust, so that is that.
I got 5 free oil changes, but the dealer let me pick up the oil and filter from the parts department and do the changes myself.

Seems like those techs got fired due to lack of training. A shame if that's the case.

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
Dealer I used had me make an appointment and SRT tech did them versus the normal Quick Lane guys for this very reason.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
The dealer should justify why the tech isn't doing the service. An oil change is an opportunity to inspect the undercarriage of the vehicle and give it an overall check. The way that these SRTs are driven, and what people pay for them, it is the little bit we get in return for paying $50-100k for a high HP rental car.

Also, if an SRT tech was selling me a cabin filter, I'd be more inclined to buy it :p

OP
Big City AL
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nashville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #13
I agree you would think an SRT tech would at least look at while they changed the oil to see if he noticed anything captain obvious wrong with it ! But the SRT techs probably don’t want anything to do with oil changes !!

Drbuick

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Slinger
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 challenger hellcat
I have said this a number of times THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SRT TECH. We have NO classes for SRT cars and suv's There is a viper tech but NO SRT

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
1. Yup. No such thing as SRT tech.

2. I printed out the procedure for my local service manager and only 2 mechanics that get to touch the car at the CHEVROLET dealership...because I'll be damned if I take my car to the local CDJR dealer.

They invite me into the bay all the time and allow me to observe as well as inspect it myself. I'm cool about it and in return so are they. I usually don't though because we have a good working relationship with each other. I trust exactly those 3 people and that's about it.

steven_sbs

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Southern
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Plum Crazy 2019 Redeye Widebody
I'm not sure I see where changing oil requires an SRT tech. It does require the person changing the oil to read the documented procedure. There is a written procedure that all techs are supposed to follow, showing in words and pictures what steps are to be taken and the order in which to do them. If an SRT certified tech was required to change the oil, then how in the world would car owners do their own oil change at home. The real issue here is the tech doing the work skipped steps, did the work in less time than it's supposed to take, billed the customer for the full allotted time, then took the extra time to go out back and smoke whatever was in his pocket.

I do have a serious question. Did the tech refill the new oil with the documented amount (6 or 7 quarts, whatever it is), thereby overfilling the oil system, or did the tech refill with new oil up to the point on the dipstick where it shows full? Overfilled oil can cause problems.

Drbuick

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Slinger
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 challenger hellcat
If this sounds mean I'm sorry if anyone came in asking for a SRT tech I would say sorry you need to take your car somewhere else to be serviced. because 9 times out of 10 they are a pain in the ass. EVERY customer should have their car or truck serviced to the same manner as anyone idc if its a geo metro or a hellcat respect everyone's car no matter what kind

rdlsrt

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pearland
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
its a shame they fired those two guys, they should have been trained to drain the cooler. I don't think it was the Tech's fault, it was the dealerships fault for not training the employees. Its not rocket science its changing the oil!! They are just going to hire 2 more hourly works to take their place.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
its a shame they fired those two guys, they should have been trained to drain the cooler. I don't think it was the Tech's fault, it was the dealerships fault for not training the employees. Its not rocket science its changing the oil!! They are just going to hire 2 more hourly works to take their place.
They are just going to hire 2 more hourly works to take their place and not train them properly either.

From a business owners perspective, why tie up your experienced techs having them do $80 - $110 oil changes?

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
If this sounds mean I'm sorry if anyone came in asking for a SRT tech I would say sorry you need to take your car somewhere else to be serviced. because 9 times out of 10 they are a pain in the ass. EVERY customer should have their car or truck serviced to the same manner as anyone idc if its a geo metro or a hellcat respect everyone's car no matter what kind
No worries. SRT tech were my words...I think the service writer who owns a Scat Pack himself said it was “their guy who works on Hellcats” They did a good job and definitely dealt with the oil cooler so I was happy.