Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Cooper Zeon tires - anyone run these?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Belgrade
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
WTB: Challenger RE standard body
If so what are your thoughts?

I picked up a 2018 Challenger HC and while there is some tread left on the tires, I'm going to replace the tires for peace of mind. For what it's worth the rear tire is a 305/35/20.

I won't track the car and I live in Western MT so car will be stored over the winter. I've read up on a summer tire and at least the Michelins have a disclaimer of: Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

While vehicle will be stored in covered storage, it will be subject to below 20 degrees and I don't want to take a chance of ruining a summer rated tire. So would like to stick to an all season and the Coopers are readily available.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Tires is a tough subject with these cars.

OP
B
Member ID
Reactions
City
Belgrade
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Tires is a tough subject with these cars.
From the research I've done, seems like it can be a crap shoot unless a person is going to the track; then there are some solid choices.

I'm guessing for most people just bombing around town, getting on the throttle hear and there and taking some road trips; a person really can't go wrong with just a quality name brand. Does seem though like the Michelins have some consistent solid reviews, but none of my local tire shops have those.

And I'm not really a fan of buying tires online, then bringing them in for mounting. Person gets better service buying the tires from the shop.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
From the research I've done, seems like it can be a crap shoot unless a person is going to the track; then there are some solid choices.

I'm guessing for most people just bombing around town, getting on the throttle hear and there and taking some road trips; a person really can't go wrong with just a quality name brand. Does seem though like the Michelins have some consistent solid reviews, but none of my local tire shops have those.

And I'm not really a fan of buying tires online, then bringing them in for mounting. Person gets better service buying the tires from the shop.
315s has a much better selection. Not sure if they will fit in the front without rubbing.

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I had some 12 years ago on a Roush 427r Mustang and they were not great at straight line traction. I have Continentals DWS06 Plus tires on order and will report back once they arrive. I don't expect them to have anywhere near the grip the Nitto NT555rII tires I have now have but they should last more than six months and will hopefully last for a couple of years.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I had some 12 years ago on a Roush 427r Mustang and they were not great at straight line traction. I have Continentals DWS06 Plus tires on order and will report back once they arrive. I don't expect them to have anywhere near the grip the Nitto NT555rII tires I have now have but they should last more than six months and will hopefully last for a couple of years.
How many miles on the 555r2s?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
General driving... Michelin PS4S is a good choice (sent mine back because of the experience I had with them while power "sliding" a straight away - an odd but very predictable oscillation)

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
How many miles on the 555r2s?
They were on the car when I bought it so I'm not sure. I have around 2000 miles on them and they were not new when I bought the car. They have about 2/32" left and I about lost the car in a bad rain storm we had last week on the interstate

If I buy a summer set of wheels and tires I will put them on the rear most likely with the nt555g2 on front since they match. I only have about 5 months where temperatures don't go below forty degrees here in Tennessee even if it's only for a few hours

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
They were on the car when I bought it so I'm not sure. I have around 2000 miles on them and they were not new when I bought the car. They have about 2/32" left and I about lost the car in a bad rain storm we had last week on the interstate
It was hairy for us last Saturday coming back from a car meet and we hit a torrential downpour.

Water must of been 6"+ deep on.the street. Ours probably has 4K miles on them and they still look pretty meaty.

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
It was hairy for us last Saturday coming back from a car meet and we hit a torrential downpour.

Water must of been 6"+ deep on.the street. Ours probably has 4K miles on them and they still look pretty meaty.
The interstate is banked in a few spots here and I almost went sideways at 75mph just cruising five or six times in about ten miles of travel. I will probably keep the tires and buy some wheels eventually just so I can use them if I go to Bristol motor speedway for street fights as they call it

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
The interstate is banked in a few spots here and I almost went sideways at 75mph just cruising five or six times in about ten miles of travel. I will probably keep the tires and buy some wheels eventually just so I can use them if I go to Bristol motor speedway for street fights as they call it
I81?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
OP
B
Member ID
Reactions
City
Belgrade
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
I believe in 2016 Cooper changed the design to the G1, wonder if this would matter vs what you had 12 years ago. Local dealer also has the Continentals; please do report back once they are on - thanks!

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I believe in 2016 Cooper changed the design to the G1, wonder if this would matter vs what you had 12 years ago. Local dealer also has the Continentals; please do report back once they are on - thanks!
The Continentals went on this afternoon but its pouring the rain here so I have not tried them out in the dry. My miles til empty went up 4 miles in the 10 miles I have driven with them on. Wet traction is definitely better than the NT555RII tires on the rear and they are quiet. I paid $1330 for them at discount tire out the door. They didn't quote the Coopers so I don't know what they would have been. Looking at their website they would be about $120 cheaper. I will report back on the Continentals but honestly believe they will do what I need them to do which is keep me on the road and last for a while. I kept the nittos NT555RII tires and will get some wheels to use with them at the drag strip

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
The Continentals went on this afternoon but its pouring the rain here so I have not tried them out in the dry. My miles til empty went up 4 miles in the 10 miles I have driven with them on. Wet traction is definitely better than the NT555RII tires on the rear and they are quiet. I paid $1330 for them at discount tire out the door. They didn't quote the Coopers so I don't know what they would have been. Looking at their website they would be about $120 cheaper. I will report back on the Continentals but honestly believe they will do what I need them to do which is keep me on the road and last for a while. I kept the nittos NT555RII tires and will get some wheels to use with them at the drag strip
We used them on our Mercedes cars and had great luck with them.

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
We used them on our Mercedes cars and had great luck with them.
The Continentals are what people are recommending for about every car I have owned in the past 10 years. I almost put them on the last Challenger 392TA and a WRX. I put the old style on a Audi S4 right before I traded it even though I was living in Miami at the time and didn't need A/S tires. I put the Michelin AS4S on the WRX and they were better than the Bridgestone summer tires that came on that car. I should have never bought the WRX.

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
The Continentals hook up decently from 40mph on but not from a dead stop which wasn't expected. They are not squirrely like the Nittos when slipping. The just slip