Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Cool front and hopping...

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
We had our first cool front of fall last night. So yesterday was 96, today was 62. As I"ve said before, the HC sure reacts well to lower IAT. By the rule of thumb, that should equate to about 3.4% more HP and it's quite noticeable even seat of pants. Car much more eager. Comparing the day before to today, same location, I saw about two tenths better 0-60 times.

After work, headed out to my "spot" and by the route I took there is an absolutely 90 turn (no sweep, no jog, no shoulder, actual 90 bend road ends). So I hit this w as much speed as usual and then the road goes straight about 100 or 150 feet or so and begins to sweep to the right as an on ramp. The gentle sweep quickly adopts negative banking as it is joining up with a highway sweeping left turn. This makes for all kinds of fun since you're at negative bank and accelerating with the lateral Gs building into that bank. Always been fun but today something different happened. I'll tell you what it felt like: as the car is tilting negative and we are at WOT later Gs mount and then, in a mere instant it felt like the left rear rubber rolled under and then hops up and jumps about 8" to 1' to the left, I compensated but I'm sure the electronics helped too (not nearly the reactions now I'm sure as when I was a youngster). Never got out of it completely and if this had been a Mustang might have spun the car out. MPH was mid 90s to 100. Obviously the 555R isn't designed for the lateral G force but they've always held up pasably and they did a good job this time too, comparatively. Will I push at that location again? Probably (I like to experiment and investigate) but I'll be more cognizant of the signs the car is reaching the lateral G limit. Of course, out here in west texas it could have been a dirt clod interrupting contact for a split second too (however, I saw no evidence of this; but the clod can be compacted into the aggregate grooves out here and very hard to spot visually). Writing about makes the process seem slow, but it was not. A second or so is all it took; can't reason your way through it. Had I been someone who bought the car and came in with little or no high performance vehicle experience could have had a worse outcome.

Also, this coming week should be mounting the 305 MT ET Street SS on the car. Will try and do same day or back to back comparisons.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
@Magnified I have felt it. I would say the same and believe I may have posted before; it felt like the junk folded. Made 555r's do that the first time I tried a quick sharp turn under power. It was an awful feeling, never tried it again. Never will see me with a drag radials on the street again anyway. They are dangerous, they suck, they are not worth the money, they hate rain also.

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
62f is a cold front? Shit, it was 25f this morning when I took the car to get the oil changed. Thank God for heated seats and heated steering wheel.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Darn nasty cold front up here. My car is temporarily on life support. It has not got out much for a few weeks now, it has no chance before like Thursday this week. Been stuff like snow, sleet and things falling out of the sky. Last time I had it out briefly the air temps were in the mid-40's. It was stupid. It could have hopped off the road on any tire with enough dumb pressure on the right foot. The air does make a big difference in the performance too. They will chew through cold air quick!

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
62f is a cold front? Shit, it was 25f this morning when I took the car to get the oil changed. Thank God for heated seats and heated steering wheel.
LOL, that was the high (60s), in the night it dropped to the ludicrous temperature of 37 or something like that. Our trade off is generally mild winters for the horrific summer heat.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
LOL, that was the high (60s), in the night it dropped to the ludicrous temperature of 37 or something like that. Our trade off is generally mild winters for the horrific summer heat.
Cool front. In West Texas? We had frosts two days in a row already here in New England.😂

DaveB

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Penhold
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Cool front. In West Texas? We had frosts two days in a row already here in New England.😂
I shoveled snow once already. :eek: It's gone now, but still cold...supposed to stay above freezing tonight, so I might drive the HC to work tomorrow one more time!

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Man Alive! Just reading about snow here and there makes me think I am probably going to be right with my prediction for me to have lots of snow this year!:eek::eek:

I just hope I will be able to get to the track and have some fun in this cool air we are having of 57 degrees ATM!

Linda[burnout][burnout]

DaveB

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Penhold
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I shoveled snow once already. :eek: It's gone now, but still cold...supposed to stay above freezing tonight, so I might drive the HC to work tomorrow one more time!
Not on topic at all.....but I took Da Beast to work today. It was 8c (46f ish) this AM. Much happiness!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Got blasted by that cold front also.:unsure:
Was 52 f this morning.:eek:
Brrrrrrrrr!:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
We had one yester year and got to 88. Now fer all the Florida boys and gas heading to Ocala tomorrow... We are going to have a bit of a tropical storm with a lot of rain and wind. Might be a bit of a blow job for Ocala. Damn shame to waste a good blow job. Good luck guys. It's the extraction of the palm oil into the at moe sphere that causes these anomalies. Cow gas and palm oil. Not good for nuttin.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Tell me about it. I was going to drive it to work, because it is the first day in forever it won't rain. Oh, opens up with 30 degrees in the back yard! Maybe tomorrow. It was pretty feisty on an evening drive looking at great leaf colors with a DA of about 500!

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
We'll be 50°F and below regularly going forward. Great for road hockey.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Already switched to my all seasons. Getting into low 50's high 40's at night and in AM here on long Island. Took car out with the summer SHP tires last week in early AM, got sideways on the hockey pucks at what would be normal throttle above 60.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
We'll be 50°F and below regularly going forward. Great for road hockey.
Yep. All of Omar's cousins make it interesting. Clear and dry Monday, I saw one that I absolutely knew was not going to stop. Yep, true, if I would not have stopped, he would have been tee boned. You should see what happens when it get slick around here!

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I wood have nightmares. Cold, rain, snow, no bikinis, no early morning burn outs. With out a wheel hop. Canadians come on down.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
You guys have no idea.... want to see the worst drivers in the United States? Wait for Houston to have a major freeze. lol, mass panic. People trapped on over passes over night (even though the news truck can get up there to interview them), guys in 4x4s who think that means they can stop on a dime, semis on black ice driving 95 because that's what they always do. I just plain stayed the hell off the road (and chuckled)

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Cold rain or snow, you can absolutely burn them to the bone dude.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
You guys have no idea.... want to see the worst drivers in the United States? Wait for Houston to have a major freeze. lol, mass panic. People trapped on over passes over night (even though the news truck can get up there to interview them), guys in 4x4s who think that means they can stop on a dime, semis on black ice driving 95 because that's what they always do. I just plain stayed the hell off the road (and chuckled)
This is true, I am sorry. When those southern cities get ice, you guys don't try to drive do you? I mean the best of us can't do ice.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
When studs were legal. Had them on my modified '75 Trans Am. Spent the set that winter, but it was a blast! Actually dug holes with it.