Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Convert Manual Tilt Column to Power

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Redeye, 20 Charger Hellcat, 21 DDHC
I purchased a 2019 RE that came with a manual tilt column. Now that there are plenty of wrecked Hellcats I was considering swapping my manual tilt column to a power tilt unit. I was just curious if anyone else has attempted this and if the all the wiring was already in place to support this conversion.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I'm tempted to trade you. Mine has power, and it was painfully slow the one time I used it.
Since I haven't grown or shrunk since, there has been no need to adjust the steering wheel again, but I wouldn't mind losing some weight. The car's weight, that is.

OP
Chevyave

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Redeye, 20 Charger Hellcat, 21 DDHC
Thread Starter #3
Probably going to keep my steering column one way or the other. Used power columns are going for as little as $300 shipped, so that is why I am tempted to purchase one and see if it will work. Just hoping someone else had already tried this with success.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I purchased a 2019 RE that came with a manual tilt column. Now that there are plenty of wrecked Hellcats I was considering swapping my manual tilt column to a power tilt unit. I was just curious if anyone else has attempted this and if the all the wiring was already in place to support this conversion.
agree with Jimmy N...... too much crap in my hellcat that l don`t use. always looking for weight reduction.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Probably going to keep my steering column one way or the other. Used power columns are going for as little as $300 shipped, so that is why I am tempted to purchase one and see if it will work. Just hoping someone else had already tried this with success.
I don't know for 100% certain, but you probably also need to have one of the car's computers flashed to program that feature so that it will work. Everything in these cars goes through some type of computer.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I was going to mention that, too. The wring itself is most likely already there, but it may or may not work without some dealer intervention.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
I don't know for 100% certain, but you probably also need to have one of the car's computers flashed to program that feature so that it will work. Everything in these cars goes through some type of computer.
God I hope not. Gonna go have a talk with my manual transmission... it best not be whoring around with no computers!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
God I hope not. Gonna go have a talk with my manual transmission... it best not be whoring around with no computers!
Heck, you may even be allowed to back up with the door open. What a concept.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I bought the factory fog light setup for a 2010 Ram 2500 that I previously owned. I installed the kit from Mopar, and was excited to see my new fog lights blaze away, only to find out that I needed to get the computer flashed, and the fog light option code added to the "build" of the truck on the server back in the Cheyenne Mountain Complex at NORAD that Chrysler must have or else my new fog lights wouldn't work on my truck. Fog lights. Fog.....lights. Two lights, a new headlight switch, and two wiring pigtails that plugged right into the truck wiring. A very typical set up that I had installed on all of those "vintage" Power Wagons and Ramchargers in my younger days. Fog lights.....the same thing you used to be able to buy at Pep Boys for like $20, install, hook up 12 volts to a toggle switch, the lights, and a ground wire...and viola'.....light...from the fog lights. No computer. No programming. No "mother may I" request for permission back to the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz. Fog....lights. Not a flux capacitor. Not the phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.
So.....I was forced to go to the dealer....pay them $100 to flash the computer and log the install with SkyNet.....so that I could press the little button on the new headlight switch and get the fog lights to work. It never made sense to me...then...or now. In fact....everytime I think about it, I have to laugh or the insanity of it would make me very mad. I thought that aircraft engineers had goofy ideas......but if I ever met the engineer that thought requiring fog lights to go through a computer to be allowed to turn on was a wonderful fete of engineering......I'd need a lawyer...or two.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Heck, you may even be allowed to back up with the door open. What a concept.
I only had my car on the road for a month after getting it. But, yes... I am definitely going to have to get used to hanging my head out the open door looking backwards while working the clutch and the wheel again... almost like I can think and work things for myself.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
I'm tempted to trade you. Mine has power, and it was painfully slow the one time I used it.
Since I haven't grown or shrunk since, there has been no need to adjust the steering wheel again, but I wouldn't mind losing some weight. The car's weight, that is.
What He said...