Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Considering the Incognito Lower.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
So... I'm in California.

Highest octane, in my area, is 91. I know 93 is recommended, with the Incognito. No problem with throwing Boostane, or Lucas, or other octane booster at it, on the reg.

1. Is this viable, for a DD Hellcat?

2. How about plugs? How badly will they suffer, with the introduction of an octane booster? Fill up once a week...

Not planning on racing... I just like tinkering with the Cat.

Is the long term solution to just go full bore and do the Incognito, with a 91 tune? Is this even a thing?

Man... i need some advice, here.

Whatcha think?

Bob

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Sub'd. I'm on the fence too, we have 93 here and at sea level

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
These have been out for a year now or so right? I cannot recall one person talking about having a problem with this mod, but in theory slamming that sleeve over your lower crank pulley is potentially a problem as it locks down some dampers that the motor needs/likes if I understand it correctly. Like you I can only get 91 premium a the pump, but that's the fuel these cars are rated on isn't it? My redeye makes 11-12 psi here at 5500 feet, would sure like to be at 13-14 psi like stock cars at sea level. This would be an easy way to get there! One this about this incognito is that you do not need a tune for it which is nice...

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Buddy of mine just did the pulley on his Demon, went out and ran a PB in worse weather than his prior.
Because it's a Demon, he only ever runs race gas in it.

That being said, ask your tuner if 91oct will support the little additional boost that the lower pulley offers. If they have to take out timing to accommodate the boost - ask them if it's worth it at all.

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
I have this on my Hellcat and also in California. Attempted to install it myself per the instructions given from Ripatuned but it was a HUGE pain in the butthole. FYI, take it to a hellcat shop if you are planning on buying an incognito lower. Keep in mind too that the pulley is a VERY tight fit in there, some trimming may be necessary.

So far so good, I put 91 octane in the car. A tune is not necessary unless you're planning on more mods in the future. The kitty now pulls HARD and for some reason the exhaust sounds louder.

As far as a DD, I'm not sure. I don't DD mine but if you encounter any issues, just take the pulley out.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
I am contemplating the same thing. I'm here in Fullerton Ca. I will probably order the pulley next week and just do it since I have a shop and lifts.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Lacey
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
In the market
I’m also considering it. Seems like a solid way to pick up a little horsepower until you decide to go with a tune and upper pulley later on. I plan to do it myself as well so any install advice would be appreciated.

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
I see, now, that the recommendation for 93 octane is for Redeye and Demon.

*Due to higher boost levels stock, 93 octane is recommended for Redeye and Demon applications at sea level. 91 is acceptable only if fuel additives like torco and boostane are used*

Hellcat should be fine on 91 pump gas.

Looks like I'm in...

Just need to sell a few more mod kits :)

All the feedback is appreciated. Keep it coming.

Bob

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I have this on my Hellcat and also in California. Attempted to install it myself per the instructions given from Ripatuned but it was a HUGE pain in the butthole. FYI, take it to a hellcat shop if you are planning on buying an incognito lower. Keep in mind too that the pulley is a VERY tight fit in there, some trimming may be necessary.

So far so good, I put 91 octane in the car. A tune is not necessary unless you're planning on more mods in the future. The kitty now pulls HARD and for some reason the exhaust sounds louder.

As far as a DD, I'm not sure. I don't DD mine but if you encounter any issues, just take the pulley out.
What issues did you have to make it a pain to install?

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Right? I was going to say they kind of brag about how easy the install is, granted I would take it to a shop to have it done, but would tell them it's supposed to go on easy. I think this is a universal part for all 6.2s, isn't it?

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
You should be fine. I wouldn’t add a octane booster on a weekly basis when ever you fill up. Maybe every other week or so.
if you have access to 100octane pump I would put 2-3 gallons of that in first then fill her up with the 91.
I did this when my car was stock for awhile.

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I’m also considering it. Seems like a solid way to pick up a little horsepower until you decide to go with a tune and upper pulley later on. I plan to do it myself as well so any install advice would be appreciated.
Unless you're a master mechanic, take it to a shop to save yourself some headache. It's literally an all day job, especially dropping the fan shroud 75% out of the car so that you can pull it back up. Extremely tight squeeze and the instructions are literally in black and white so there's very little to go off of.

You also have to disconnect the coolant line to do this as well, and I got coolant all over me. Good thing I had my glasses on. Oh, the coolant clips are also a pain in the butthole to adjust because the pinch points themselves were lodged awkwardly up and in between other hoses.

If you're going to do it at home, get the car on a lift if you have one. Take the bumper off as well as everything else. Also, you should have one of those code clearer devices because the "low coolant" light will come on and stay on even after you topped your fluids off. Don't forget to seal that coolant line back up or else it'll leak since the seal is broken once you remove the line.

After I thought that I was done, cranked up the car and a LOUD chirping noise, followed by smell of smoke ensued. Called up my buddy, a master mechanic, and he fixed it in about 6 hours. Would've been shorter if he didn't have to file some room for the pulley to fit.

10/10 would not attempt again. This is not easy whatsoever and I consider myself a pretty decent mechanic with a shit-ton of tools at my disposal.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Unless you're a master mechanic, take it to a shop to save yourself some headache. It's literally an all day job, especially dropping the fan shroud 75% out of the car so that you can pull it back up. Extremely tight squeeze and the instructions are literally in black and white so there's very little to go off of.

You also have to disconnect the coolant line to do this as well, and I got coolant all over me. Good thing I had my glasses on. Oh, the coolant clips are also a pain in the butthole to adjust because the pinch points themselves were lodged awkwardly up and in between other hoses.

If you're going to do it at home, get the car on a lift if you have one. Take the bumper off as well as everything else. Also, you should have one of those code clearer devices because the "low coolant" light will come on and stay on even after you topped your fluids off. Don't forget to seal that coolant line back up or else it'll leak since the seal is broken once you remove the line.

After I thought that I was done, cranked up the car and a LOUD chirping noise, followed by smell of smoke ensued. Called up my buddy, a master mechanic, and he fixed it in about 6 hours. Would've been shorter if he didn't have to file some room for the pulley to fit.

10/10 would not attempt again. This is not easy whatsoever and I consider myself a pretty decent mechanic with a shit-ton of tools at my disposal.
Good info thanks for sharing!

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Sorry to be a fly in the ointment, but you are looking for opinions so here goes. I think stuff like this should be in the book... 101 ways to do halfass shit to your car. These are advertised to increase boost and make more hp without tuning. The other selling point is..... when something goes wrong (and you want to get it covered under warranty) you can take it off and say “I don’t know what happened!” 1st...... read the above post on the job it is to install (and remove) one of these. Probably not what you were led you to believe concerning just going back to “stock” before heading to the dealer. 2nd....... do you think that after one of these has been bolted onto your crank pulley..... that there won’t be evidence of that when the warranty police show up at the dealer? The first thing they look at is the crank pulley........ good luck. 3rd..... anybody want to ask about what tacking a heavy contraption like this to your crank does to balance? The ATI pulleys used to overdrive the supercharger are SFI certified harmonic balancers. 4th..... you think you are actually going to make more horsepower by increasing boost on a motor that is already been shown to pull timing to protect itself on 91 octane fuel? And last but not least....... did you know that there are little propellers that go in your intake and will give you more horsepower and better fuel economy at the same time? If you want to mod... keep it moderate, do it right and have it tuned by one of the pros. If it’s too good to be true....... 🙄

Last edited:
OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
Sorry to be a fly in the ointment, but you are looking for opinions so here goes. I think stuff like this should be in the book... 101 ways to do halfass shit to your car. These are advertised to increase boost and make more hp without tuning. The other selling point is..... when something goes wrong (and you want to get it covered under warranty) you can take it off and say “I don’t know what happened!” 1st...... read the above post on the job it is to install (and remove) one of these. Probably not what you were led you to believe concerning just going back to “stock” before heading to the dealer. 2nd....... if you think that after one of these has been bolted onto your crank pulley..... that there won’t be evidence of that when the warranty police show up at the dealer..... good luck. 3rd..... anybody want to ask about what tacking a heavy contraption like this to your crank does to balance? The ATI pulleys used to overdrive the supercharger are SFI certified harmonic balancers. 4th..... you think you are actually going to make more horsepower by increasing boost on a motor that is already been shown to pull timing to protect itself on 91 octane fuel? And last but not least....... did you know that there are little propellers that go in your intake and will give you more horsepower and better fuel economy at the same time? If you want to mod... keep it moderate, do it right and have it tuned by one of the pros. If it’s too good to be true.......
Just bought one of those fuel line magnets...

Bob

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
I bought one of propellers just like the one Lexus put on my wifes car from the factory.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Oh and one more thing..... you know that the stock crank pulley is not pinned. I wonder if tacking additional weight on it that is accelerated and decelerated might increase the chance of spinning it and possibly destroying your engine. Just wondering.

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #18
Pin it, or spin it.

Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Lacey
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
In the market

Good information for those of us considering tackling the install ourselves. Was it the lack of clearance that ended up being the cause of the chirping? What was the smoke smell from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Good information for those of us considering tackling the install ourselves. Was it the lack of clearance that ended up being the cause of the chirping? What was the smoke smell from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I rushed it towards the end because I was tired and threaded the belt incorrectly. That caused the chirping noise and smoke smell.