Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Considering new sports car after surgery, move to new house, etc... Seriously looking at an Audi RS3 for motor and AWD

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
A previous post somewhere here mentioned the cars most reliably, cheaply, and consistently able to be made fast in the modern era. I think you have to include the RS3 in there. With a kit, you can drop it into consistent 8.3 territory with full interior, AC, and still daily it. If you go a little farther out with weight reduction they can drop into the 7s without too much trouble. The full interior daily ran 100-200 mph at Texas 2k this year in 3.1, which for a daily mod-kit car is pretty amazing to me. 60-130 was 3.8 if I remember correctly. Especially from that tiny mill. If they could get a similar range of performance form an S8 I'd be in like flint. While I am quite impressed with the RS3, I think it's just too small for me probably.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Charger HC, and if it was AWD and easy enough to tweak like this, I'd be right back in one.

Tossed a few vids with Izon cars below, if you're interested.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Really not interested

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
I have a buddy with an Audi, when I was looking at sports cars he recommended against the Audi, due to the high repair costs. same goes with BMW

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I have a buddy with an Audi, when I was looking at sports cars he recommended against the Audi, due to the high repair costs. same goes with BMW
My cousins trans was going out in her 15 Audi Q5 and dealer quoted her 17k to fix it😳 she ended up selling it to carmax

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Really not interested
Didn’t mean to be rude but just saying the truth. I like the participants on here and want to hear the escapades about their Hellcats, and SRT’s but kind of glaze over when we start bringing up Fords, especially trucks (sorry Stormy and CC), Chevys and foreign cars. Exotics are definitely cool but I’m a Mopar guy. Nothing much more interesting than a factory 10 second or better 700+ HP Mopar! Just saying…

Last edited:

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Lots of great cars in this era, but I'm still smitten with my HC.
I'm not sure if I graduated from german metal to arrive at this spot, or went back to high school. Don't much care, happy either way!

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
Didn’t mean to be rude but just saying the truth. I like the participants on here and want to hear the escapades about their Hellcats, and SRT’s but kind of glaze over when we start bringing up Fords, especially trucks (sorry Stormy and CC), Chevys and foreign cars. Exotics are definitely cool but I’m a Mopar guy. Nothing much more interesting than a factory 10 second or better 700+ HP Mopar! Just saying…
If you want the truth, then a sports car is a more capable track car and the Hellcat SRT is more in the lines of a drag car. So you can have your 10 seconds of fun but you'll never exceed the 25 minute thrill ride of the road course. Not saying the Hellcat can't make it around the track in a respectable time, but it will never be as fast as a sports car around the track. There is just something different when you climb into a sports car.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I had mine (100% stock) on the track and I am sure very few sports cars would be more exciting to take around the track. It got up to 135 mph on the straight and I was not taking any chances going into turn 1 too fast! :D It really handled great but the whine of the supercharger, the trumpeting of the exhaust, the 120 millisecond upshifts and speed matched downshifts and the fantastic braking would be hard to match by all but the most expensive sports cars out there. Most of them could not keep up with a mildly modified HC like @DGatzby runs! Some sports car may be more nimble or even faster around the track but no more exciting! 5725D007-C940-4051-98F6-11BC41872ED6.jpeg

HemiPacer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Malvern
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
I talked my father in law into a least giving some of the euro brands a chance as the Ford product he was driving while powerful was poorly equipped in comparison to the similarly priced euro . I’d say go do some test driving I can think of worse things to do . In terms of handling/equipment/comfort there really is no comparison but to be fair our beasts are on a archaic platform and there rawness is part of the appeal . Yes the euro brands are expensive to fix but so is everything else thats why we all have warranties. By chance the father in law ended up in a R8 and will likely never own another Ford after a lifetime in them .
I personally like the Merc AMG 45 more to look at but the Audi is a better deal but then the BMW kicks ass on the road course. Enjoy the process and drive em all , good luck .

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
I haven't had anyone with an Audi have what I would consider excessive maintenance / repair (but then every car is different). Look at the center stack replacement I had in the Charger HC amongst other things - a pain in the butt, but not something that killed the fun for me. I'm not into BMW so I can't speak to them, but MB while they can produce some really nice product (like our chassis), after about three years they freaking implode and as expensive as hell to repair.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
My cousins trans was going out in her 15 Audi Q5 and dealer quoted her 17k to fix it😳 she ended up selling it to carmax
Did they give her full trade in?

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
I knew what you were saying Silver; no worries. And yes, we all have our favorites. I tend to be one of those who doesn't get wrapped in marques. They all make some pieces of shit, and some gems. and with the constant ownership changes and interlocking boards, I don't think there is really much true continuity or "blood line" if you will. But I give credit where credit is due.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
I had mine (100% stock) on the track and I am sure very few sports cars would be more exciting to take around the track. It got up to 135 mph on the straight and I was not taking any chances going into turn 1 too fast! :D It really handled great but the whine of the supercharger, the trumpeting of the exhaust, the 120 millisecond upshifts and speed matched downshifts and the fantastic braking would be hard to match by all but the most expensive sports cars out there. Most of them could not keep up with a mildly modified HC like @DGatzby runs! Some sports car may be more nimble or even faster around the track but no more exciting! View attachment 54024
Agreed, for a ground pounding rhinocerous of a car, my Charger was pretty damn fun on twists and turns. Not up to 2021 M5 CS, but still just as much or more fun.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
I talked my father in law into a least giving some of the euro brands a chance as the Ford product he was driving while powerful was poorly equipped in comparison to the similarly priced euro . I’d say go do some test driving I can think of worse things to do . In terms of handling/equipment/comfort there really is no comparison but to be fair our beasts are on a archaic platform and there rawness is part of the appeal . Yes the euro brands are expensive to fix but so is everything else thats why we all have warranties. By chance the father in law ended up in a R8 and will likely never own another Ford after a lifetime in them .
I personally like the Merc AMG 45 more to look at but the Audi is a better deal but then the BMW kicks ass on the road course. Enjoy the process and drive em all , good luck .
He could do far worse than that R8. I personally wish there was an RS8.

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
Most of them could not keep up with a mildly modified HC like @DGatzby runs!
It got up to 135 mph on the straight and I was not taking any chances going into turn 1 too fast!

Dave and I have ran @ Road America together. He has great break away speed in the straights but I run a good 10 seconds faster per lap with a stock car. Sports cars make up the time in the corners. Really only an amateur would get to 135 MPH. Were you afraid to put your foot in it? We would get to 155 - 160 in the straights @ Road America with our asses on fire.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
queue visual aids

Trax

ass on fire 2.gif

Dave

ass on fire 1.gif

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
What kinda pea nial removal, again. Don't no about all that. But being a receiver of 3 knee replacements before 60. I wood not agree to a vete. Easy in butt getting out, horrible. Hell Catster is nuch moe toll er able. Anything at that point with enough pain pills wood bees tolrible. Or trouble. Back to the bottle of ?? Either 1. 5 her knee ated dics in the back and hips going bad. What the hell. Another pill.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
A guy here in town had a little TTRS, the little coupe which if you're thinking about a car like this, why waste time with a tiny 4-door and un-usable back seat, but anyway he had that 5-cylinder modded with all the boost and RPMs and it was fast as hell! He got rid of it though as he said it was very expensive to mod(no local shops really worked on it either, had to use Las Vegas or Phoenix) and always needed maintenance things and he got frustrated so he got rid of it, bought a 5.0 Mustang and is just about finished adding a twin-turbo kit from Hellion I believe which is a local company here in ABQ. Good luck!

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Did they give her full trade in?
They gave her 14k, but looking on line they're going for 21-25k for that model year? This was about a month ago.