Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Complete audio system upgrade 2017 Hellcat

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
With all the performance mods finally done, I am going to 'fix' the factory sound system.
I won't trash the H/K system. There has really never been a factory sound system from any manufacturer that was very good. I didn't special order it. It came with the car and had zero influence on my purchase decision.
Fixing it means throwing away everything but the head unit. Nothing worse than a cobbled up dash, so I need to make that work as well as possible.
Some of the items I am using are off the shelve pieces. Readily available. Some are less available and take real effort to get, with long lead shipping times.

Fixing head unit is easy. Crutchfield sells all 3 pieces needed.
AmpPRO modules; AP4-CH41 (R.2) , APH-CH03 Dodge Speaker connection harness, APA-TOS1 TOSLINK digital output for the AP4-CH41.

Subwoofer is a JL Audio 13TW5v2-2. 13.5" diameter. This sub is a very shallow mount (2.6") and requires a custom box with .8 cu ft, sealed. A local custom shop will build the box out of fiberglass and cover to match the trunk.
It should fit and look very similar to a JL Audio Stealth-box and put out plenty of low frequency joy. If not, I can always add a second one in the other trunk corner.

Speakers.
For the cabin, I will be using 2 pair of Focal PS 165 F3 full range 3 way component speakers. I will not be using the included passive crossovers. So 12 speakers total with an active crossover setup.

DSP.
The list of available 12 channel DSP's for car audio is very short. Initially, I was going to use a combination DSP- 75W/ch Amplifier in 12 channels. But the package size was pretty small and I was concerned about the thermals.
I live in a pretty hot climate, so I will separate that all in one piece into 3 pieces. The DSP is a Helix DSP Ultra 12 channel. These can be difficult to get. Helix is a pretty high end line and its all made in Germany. The number of
US importers is very small, and they do not carry the entire line. I did find one.

Amplifiers
I wanted the amps to match the DSP. So for the subwoofer I'm using a Helix M One X Mono-block, 700W @ 2 ohms.
For the 12 cabin component speakers I am using a pair of Helix M 6 channel amps, 100W/ch in either 2 or 4 ohms.
These 6 channel amps are specifically made for active crossover setups using a 3 way component speaker setup.
There are 3 different pairs of inputs. One for mid bass, with a low pass filter. One for mid-range with both a low and hi pass filter. And one for tweeters with just a high pass filter.

Its going to easily be several weeks before I have all the pieces in hand. Will check back periodically with pics and updates.

Last edited:

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
😳 you’ve got my head spinning. Audio is one thing I don’t know shit about unless it’s plug and play. Either you know your shit or you’ve got me convinced you do😂😂

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I haven’t touched anything cool in car audio for 20 years… but if it weren’t for that xplod sub and pyle amp with infinity 3 ways I would be happy with normal sounds like normal people. They don’t know what they’re missing!! Can’t wait for the pics!

OP
TMAC

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
Its really not difficult. If you use the 3 PAC pieces, they install into your existing head unit. One of the 3 items ( APH-CH03 ) is a wiring harness. You literally unplug the connector in your factory head unit, install that wiring harness and you are done. The AP4-CH41 (R.2) module installs into that wiring harness.
No cutting wires. No soldering. No crimping electrical connectors. No shrink tube. No modifications period. It doesn't get any easier. The APA-CH41 handles other things as well. Like chime volumes. Hands free cell phone volumes, etc. Once that's done, you have 2 pair of full range fading RCA outputs (L-R and F-R) and 1 pair of non fading (subs) RCA outputs.
If your aftermarket DSP/AMP setup can use TOSLINK (digital input over fiber optic cable), you install the APA-TOS1 TOSLINK digital output for the AP4-CH41 and get a 12 foot fiber optic cable to reach your amp in the trunk. Eezy Peezy.

OP
TMAC

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
So I decided this week to do a rear seat delete. The factory kit shows up in early June at my local dealer.
In 4+ years the rear seats have been used a total of once.
After researching a little more, I will not be getting the Helix 12 channel DSP. Will use the Audison Bit One HD Virtuoso. Has 13 channels so I have DSP control over the subwoofer.
Parts are trickling in. I think I have found my installer.