Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Car went dead on the road after washing engine for the first time in six years.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Seals are known to be blown,, even by another seal. Any void in the system done by a third party can cause a water back up. I had all mine resealed 3 times over. As hot as the engine gets,, the exspansion and contractsion will not last forever. Silly cone calk goes a long way. Have to be good at it or it makes a mess. I spent 4 years in the union learning how to caulk. Yes,, alot of caulk.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
@AlleyCat Did you use GUNK and hose it down? That’s what we used to do with our old cars that had dirty engines. They were usually suffering from oil leaks where the dirty oil that hadn’t been changed for 50,000 miles was baked on the intake and exhaust manifolds and the oil pan was dripping oil off of it onto the driveway. I doubt if your Hellcat was so dirty that you had to rinse it off with water!

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Yes back in the day the old saying waz,,, if your Harley was not leaking oil,, it didn't have any oil in it. That is partially true ism. Now, with the H/C engine is 35 times more exspensive than a 55 pan head engine back then. But now, if you could find a pan head engine be dan lucky. My last Harley was a show bike,, imagine that. Me and a show bike. Won a bike load of shows and mags. Not practiacial to ride but part of the show was that you had to ride there and back to enter. Usually 1/2 mile ride. I had over $10,000 in gold for the gas tank and fenders and that was not much,, at all. Back then now would be $30,000. All ss aircraft fittings with hard tail, 8 over front end Butz springer, pan head top end shovel head bottom bottom end. They made this engine for 6 months to switch over the engine at the factory. Called a 1963 shovel pan. Worth there weight in gold. To work on this bike you had to have a great set of credintials and all wrenches had to have rubber set into the in sides. No scratches. Not like the ones on the black paint job on the H/C. Called a null.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I just had the dealer call me last Tuesday to tell me I need a new PCM.
The car started and would not charge. After shutting it down it would not restart.
There was lots of codes for different things including lost communication with TCM.
After I had a conversation with the mechanic he finally humored me and reflashed the PCM and checked for grounds.
The PCM was out of the car for 4months while waiting for a new engine.
He found the stud that the grounds are on is no good. He repositioned the grounds near the intercooler bottle or PCM and everything is fine.
Oddly before this I had codes for loss communication with BCM and a few other weird codes we could not explain.
It would be worthwhile looking at if the shop is saying it needs a PCM due to codes.
Hopefully this helps.

Last edited:

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I feel that coming but I am still under extended warranty. But I can feel it coming. When you take your H/C in for an oil change covered by warranty and the service tech, whom specializes in H/C 's, blows up your stereo then you scratch your unmenchables and say,,,, what is next?? When the battery goes dead,, it throws up codes right and left. Wait till that happens. A 2 year old battery will last 2 years. Don't care what flavor or modle it is. Both vetts, Z28, and F250,, now H/C is doing the same. Now since the battery is in the trunk and you can't access it cause the trunk want open??? Then what. I do have the answer. It is snot fun but it is a solution till you can get it to the dealership. With out stalling the engine. Cause it want restart.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #26
The mechanic states there are no seals. They just go in and there are locking male/female connectors. He recommends no more engine washing unless cowl is covered, fuse box is covered,etc.

I remember the days of no computers and computers in the kick panel.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
The mechanic states there are no seals. They just go in and there are locking male/female connectors. He recommends no more engine washing unless cowl is covered, fuse box is covered,etc.

I remember the days of no computers and computers in the kick panel.
No seals on that, OK, then there should be. Just like on all the other sensors, they have a weather tight seal. You would think that since it is in the engine bay & not inside the car that it would be better protected. But don't hear of it being much of a issue though.

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Redeye Widebody Jailbreak
Did the OP hit it with a high pressure sprayer?

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
Did the OP hit it with a high pressure sprayer?
No. He said "Pressure from my hose"