Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Can’t display TPMS screen in vehicle info

OP
FrankTank
Member ID
Reactions
City
Schaumburg
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #21
Well my fears have been confirmed, I am pretty much fucked. A tune was put in the car, when we hooked up to the scanner the TPMS feature has been completely wiped out its not even an option. The tool read the tune and as of now it says "aftermarket detected warranty void". Also the rear O2's have been disabled so as it stands now in IL if I get an emissions notice I will not pass emissions. My buddy is going to call someone at Dodge he knows at a dealer to see if they can reflash the PCM to return to stock. Live and Learn I guess. Hope this purchase was not a mistake otherwise I have a nice 48k paperweight to sit in my garage. I seem to never have good luck with cars but its always been my passion and hobby. With my luck who knows what is next o_O

Last edited:

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Well my fears have been confirmed, I am pretty much fucked. A tune was put in the car, when we hooked up to the scanner the TPMS feature has been completely wiped out its not even an option. The tool read the tune and as of now it says "aftermarket detected warranty void". Also the rear O2's have been disabled so as it stands now in IL if I get an emissions notice I will not pass emissions. My buddy is going to call someone at Dodge he knows at a dealer to see if they can reflash the PCM to return to stock. It's the risk you take when you buy used car especially a Hellcat. Car runs fine, but as of now if something happens I have no warranty I am screwed. Turning out to be a big mistake..oh well can't do anything now live and learn I guess. Might as well enjoy it til it blows up. If Dodge can't reflash the PCM I guess I will buy a new one.
Dang. Sorry to hear that. At least you noticed something amiss and started digging. Hopefully no issues arise.

OP
FrankTank
Member ID
Reactions
City
Schaumburg
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #23
Dang. Sorry to hear that. At least you noticed something amiss and started digging. Hopefully no issues arise.
Thanks its a risk I took and hopefully I don't end up regretting. I never planned on modding performance wise so I liked the fact that the warranty is still good until 2021 but as of now I have no warranty unless we can get the PCM reflashed back to stock.

RonHellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Sorry to hear, did you buy from a Dodge dealer? In some states it's illegal for a dealer or private seller to sell you a vehicle that won't pass emissions.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Wait, this should be easy to solve in the tune itself. Was it tuned with HPTuners? If so I believe you can just turn all that back on, I know for sure you can turn the rear O2s back on in HPT. That P1400 can also be turned off (warranty void blah blah).

You could also just buy a stock PCM and have your VIN flashed to it and swap them out, but honestly I'd just get HPTuners and adjust the tune to what you want, then you'll be ahead if you decide to tune in the future, swap pulleys, etc.

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
Damn, unless someone has since figured it out, the aftermarket tune detected code is stored in the body control module, not the PCM and is not resettable/flashable so it's now permanent, even with a reflashed/replaced PCM.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
It's been figured out. You just turn it off in the PCM, at least with HPTuners.

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
Possibly the dealer you got it from can help you contact prior owner to find out what he used for tune...as a rule I believe any reputable tuner would have a backup of original stored for reference along with updated tunes.

DFW_Redeye

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dallas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye Widebody
What worries me is the tune thats currently on there. is there a way to tell if he should be running 93 octane or E85? Could he potentially be harming the car by driving it around without knowing what tune is applied?

OP
FrankTank
Member ID
Reactions
City
Schaumburg
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #30
Thanks for all the comments, suggestions guys I appreciate it.(y) I bought it at a exotic /high end dealer that sells Ferrari, Lambo, Corvettes, Porsche etc. I called the sales guy yesterday who was of course empathetic but said he would not be able to get in touch with prior owner. They only check physical/mechanical condition of the car and make sure it's physically stock and no major flaws. I could file a Freedom of Information request with the DMV to find the prior owner but not going to start jumping through all those hoops. What's done is done. At this point, I will wait until I hear from my Friend once he talks to the tech he knows at Dodge and see if we can reflash the PCM. If that won't work then I will just buy a new PCM marry it to the VIN on this car and be done with it. In the meantime going to try and enjoy the car albeit conservatively because I don't know what is up with the tune. This is starting to remind me of my days modding my C5 corvette and Z06 and all the issues I had there. That is why my plan is/was performance wise to keep this car stock.

Last edited:

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Thanks for all the comments, suggestions guys I appreciate it.(y) I bought it at a exotic /high end dealer that sells Ferrari, Lambo, Corvettes, Porsche etc. I called the sales guy yesterday who was of course empathetic but said he would not be able to get in touch with prior owner. They only check physical/mechanical condition of the car and make sure it's physically stock and no major flaws. I could file a Freedom of Information request with the DMV to find the prior owner but not going to start jumping through all those hoops. What's done is done. At this point, I will wait until I hear from my Friend once he talks to the tech he knows at Dodge and see if we can reflash the PCM. If that won't work then I will just buy a new PCM marry it to the VIN on this car and be done with it. In the meantime going to try and enjoy the car albeit conservatively because I don't know what is up with the tune. This is starting to remind me of my days modding my C5 corvette and Z06 and all the issues I had there. That is why my plan is/was performance wise to keep this car stock.
Would be easy enough to get a copy of the prior title which will have the last registered owner on it and contact them yourself. Any reputable dealer will have a copy. If not, depending on who you have for insurance, they may also have a copy if you went in to an agent and didnt do it online.

OP
FrankTank
Member ID
Reactions
City
Schaumburg
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #32
Would be easy enough to get a copy of the prior title which will have the last registered owner on it and contact them yourself. Any reputable dealer will have a copy. If not, depending on who you have for insurance, they may also have a copy if you went in to an agent and didnt do it online.
I guess I could try my insurance. I could go to the DMV but in IL they are quite a piece of work to deal with. Typical BS state Gov agency. I'd really rather just get it reflashed to stock and be done with all this.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
The PCM might be able to just be flashed by your dealer, but honestly for what they charge you might be money ahead just buying an unlocked PCM with the stock cal applied from HPTuners. I think they're $400.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I guess I could try my insurance. I could go to the DMV but in IL they are quite a piece of work to deal with. Typical BS state Gov agency. I'd really rather just get it reflashed to stock and be done with all this.
DMV will never disclose that info. But the dealer will because you are the buyer and technically you had to have access to it in order to register it. Whether you registered it, the dealer, or your insurance co. The dealer had the title and will almost always give you a copy for your insurance at the time of purchase. Believe me, they have a copy. They have to have it for their records. Don't let them BS you.

OP
FrankTank
Member ID
Reactions
City
Schaumburg
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #35
Update, so talked to the Dodge dealer (not where I bought the car), and they are just going to reflash the PCM it's 150.00 bucks. I was going to keep this PCM (with the tune) and buy an unlocked one and install it to the OEM calibration but after thinking more about this I don't plan on any Power mods to this car, and will eventually buy an aftermarket warranty. Dealer said this morning there was also another recall for software update (per the Vin) anyway so might as well do both at same time. Car has been running great. As far as I can tell there must be a basic canned tune in the car, probably adjusted the shift points and a few other tweaks. I will find out once it's back to stock. I've bought and leased 2 vehicles from this dealer and also had all the service work done on my Scat there and have always been pleased with the service and knowledge so I think this is the best route.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
So, did getting the reflash get you back the tpms?

OP
FrankTank
Member ID
Reactions
City
Schaumburg
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #37
So, did getting the reflash get you back the tpms?
Good timing actually that you asked me was literally going to post today . Yes yesterday was at dealer they reflashed the PCM 150 bucks and everything Is back. As far as I can tell the tune that was in the car had adjusted the shift points a little in the Transmission it seems now to shift just a tad softer than before but this could just be placebo effect in my head looking for a difference. Power feels the same . My vin according dealer was due for a software update anyway . I took it to my buddy’s shop afterwards to change oil even though oil life was at 70% it looked a little dirty. Changed differential fluid which definitely needed changing. ( 62 bucks a quart Mopar brand from dealer parts ) learned this from my Scat to keep an eye . My power train warranty will be up November 2020 so will consider buying full extended warranty next year . Thanks for all the comments again guys glad I joined this forum