Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Built not bought

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thinking about finding a 2018 r/t or similar challenger (avg price 16-18k) and swapping everything over to a hellcat or better. No point in paying 250k for a 100k car when I could probably build it better.

Any thoughts?

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
Sure, go for it! It's been done and you can easily accomplish what you want to do for way less.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Thinking about finding a 2018 r/t or similar challenger (avg price 16-18k) and swapping everything over to a hellcat or better. No point in paying 250k for a 100k car when I could probably build it better.

Any thoughts?
You don’t have a hellcat or challenger?

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Buy my hellcat. Instant 9s, no hassle

OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #5
Charger

OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #6
Buy my hellcat. Instant 9s, no hassle
Thanks, but kinda doing it for the fun of it. Like a kit car kinda thing.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
The one thing that is rarely discussed is the active suspension/stability control. The factory cars are shockingly forgiving which makes them such a pleasure (and safe) to drive.

Local custom shop put a HC 6.2 in an old Duster, shop owner said it was pretty much impossible to drive. Local guys tell me about their modded HC going sideways, my guess is the stability control can’t keep up with the higher power.

One of the reasons with I went for the S2 kit is to stay within the veil of factory specs. I would not be surprised if the S2 software also included mods to the stability control.

Friend of mine has a C7 and a Cobra replica. He doesn’t dive the Cobra much. Besides everything else, he says it just sits and spins.

Conclusion, you can build a very high HP car, but will it give you the things that make you happy? :)

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
The one thing that is rarely discussed is the active suspension/stability control. The factory cars are shockingly forgiving which makes them such a pleasure (and safe) to drive.
This is a great point and I think something we really take for granted over time as we get used to these cars, they just drive so damn well! I have 40k miles on my daily driver redeye and the car is such a pleasure. Look forward to every drive!

One other thing to consider is when you build that car up, it wont have much value on the back end, you'll probably have to take it apart again to re-coup some of the money you put into it.

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

Any thoughts?
Unless you really want the project I see them for sale here and there already done. 300, charger and challengers around 30ish

OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #10
Unless you really want the project I see them for sale here and there already done. 300, charger and challengers around 30ish
That almost seems like a good deal. I was figuring 16 for a body and like 25 for a donor. Another 10 for misc and I'm up to 51k.

OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #11

Local custom shop put a HC 6.2 in an old Duster, shop owner said it was pretty much impossible to drive. Local guys tell me about their modded HC going sideways, my guess is the stability control can’t keep up with the higher power.

One of the reasons with I went for the S2 kit is to stay within the veil of factory specs. I would not be surprised if the S2 software also included mods to the stability control.

Friend of mine has a C7 and a Cobra replica. He doesn’t dive the Cobra much. Besides everything else, he says it just sits and spins.

Conclusion, you can build a very high HP car, but will it give you the things that make you happy? :)
Yeah, I agree. Kinda why I was thinking about it. Seems like a good driving experience compared to others. Haven't driven the new c8 yet heard they're fun but slow

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
That almost seems like a good deal. I was figuring 16 for a body and like 25 for a donor. Another 10 for misc and I'm up to 51k.
I'm seeing hellcats in the mid 40s and lower. A 17 charger went for 38k at mecum last weekend. Prices are dropping right now.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
My next purchase may be a rebuilt title just to pay less. Some have very little damage and they are totalled out. Saw a hellcat durango under 60k that was a rebuilt title. Way better then 90k

OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #14
My next purchase may be a rebuilt title just to pay less. Some have very little damage and they are totalled out. Saw a hellcat durango under 60k that was a rebuilt title. Way better then 90k
Exactly what I was thinking about... 🤔
Then just get all the best parts and build a 170

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
If you enjoy tinkering go for it. I'd cross check the electronics to make sure they match up but I've "heard" the computers and everything are the same between R/T and Hellcat but haven't personally confirmed.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Yeah, I agree. Kinda why I was thinking about it. Seems like a good driving experience compared to others. Haven't driven the new c8 yet heard they're fun but slow
I expected more from the C8, but I guess that is why they are coming out with the higher hp version soon. My guess is they sell more cars by saturating the first adopter market with "lesser" cars, then later sell all the same customers "improved" cars.

There were 2 C8's at Land Speed Trials last year, best was about 168 in the 1mi, the stock M6 did 174.

I was next to a C8 at the dragway last fall, since RT does not count, I always go late. After the launch I never saw him again! Maybe he wasn't trying?

MMissile

500 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Macomb County
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Hellcat WB

I have a 70 `cuda ragtop, with a stock 6.4/NAG in it. It has upgraded stock-style suspension and huge brakes. Without the nanny controls, the car is really useless in low gear, and is stupid fast. I have 50+ years of experience with powerful cars...but I'll admit that the `cuda got away from me, once. I wasn't giving it the respect it deserved, and it let me know. I now have a lot better "feel" for the car. [note Mi. Hoopty in background, LOL]
cuda 4-10-23.jpg

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Generally its a really dumb idea! You end up spending more to build it and it ends up being worth far less not being an actual Hellcat. IMO its only worth doing if ur going TT and its a sleeper grudge......

Basically u need to rebuild the entire car and its just a dumb idea period.

OP
covidcommander

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Thread Starter #19
I expected more from the C8, but I guess that is why they are coming out with the higher hp version soon. My guess is they sell more cars by saturating the first adopter market with "lesser" cars, then later sell all the same customers "improved" cars.

There were 2 C8's at Land Speed Trials last year, best was about 168 in the 1mi, the stock M6 did 174.

I was next to a C8 at the dragway last fall, since RT does not count, I always go late. After the launch I never saw him again! Maybe he wasn't trying?
Yep I agree sell the cheap slow ones, then make them faster and sell more of basically the same car. Kinda like they do with cell phones. Marketing at its finest