Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Best 18" tire for Hot Rod Drag Week (driving and racing on same tire) ?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake St. Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
I'm planning to race my 2016 Challenger Hellcat in Hot Rod Drag Week this year. I've got a set of custom rear wheels that are 18" x 9.5" that match the stock fronts, and trying to determine the best tire for driving on as well as racing on. I've currently got a set of Nitto NT05R 305/45/18 tires and it does okay with them if I don't hammer it off the line. Car is making about 750 rwhp and first time at the track it ran 10.57 @ 135 with something like a 1.58 60 ft.in average race conditions. I think with a little more practice I can get it down into the 10.3s as it sits.

I know the 305/45/18 MT ET Street R would perform best on track, but since I'm driving and racing with same tire, I need something with tread that I can drive in the rain. The only other option I'm aware of with similar/better traction is the MT ET street SS 305/40/18 that is about 1.3 " smaller diameter (27.6" vs 28.9" for the NT05R). I'm thinking the smaller diameter MT SS might actually help a little on the track since I'm still using the stock rear gears, but don't know how the math actually works out. Here is a picture of the car with 18" NT05Rs mounted and links for both the tires.

Which tire do you think will work better for Drag Week ?

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/nitto-nt05r/p/40584

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/mickey-thompson-et-street-s-s/p/30404

Thanks, David 18 drag radials summer 2019.jpg

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
No room for another set of wheels/tires/jack so that you can have a more drag oriented tire at the track?

OP
David Neibert
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake St. Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #3
No room for another set of wheels/tires/jack so that you can have a more drag oriented tire at the track?
Not really wanting to do serious racing on my first time attending Drag Week, so planning to keep the stuff needed for racing to a minimum. My son is going with me and I also plan to register him as a second driver so we can compete with each other for low ET at each track. Planning to use the trunk space for beer cooler, small jack, helmets and small tool assortment. Luggage will go in the backseat. We are not going to be competitive in the class we are entering, and just doing it for fun.

David

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I'm planning to race my 2016 Challenger Hellcat in Hot Rod Drag Week this year. I've got a set of custom rear wheels that are 18" x 9.5" that match the stock fronts, and trying to determine the best tire for driving on as well as racing on. I've currently got a set of Nitto NT05R 305/45/18 tires and it does okay with them if I don't hammer it off the line. Car is making about 750 rwhp and first time at the track it ran 10.57 @ 135 with something like a 1.58 60 ft.in average race conditions. I think with a little more practice I can get it down into the 10.3s as it sits.

I know the 305/45/18 MT ET Street R would perform best on track, but since I'm driving and racing with same tire, I need something with tread that I can drive in the rain. The only other option I'm aware of with similar/better traction is the MT ET street SS 305/40/18 that is about 1.3 " smaller diameter (27.6" vs 28.9" for the NT05R). I'm thinking the smaller diameter MT SS might actually help a little on the track since I'm still using the stock rear gears, but don't know how the math actually works out. Here is a picture of the car with 18" NT05Rs mounted and links for both the tires.

Which tire do you think will work better for Drag Week ?

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/nitto-nt05r/p/40584

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/mickey-thompson-et-street-s-s/p/30404

Thanks, David View attachment 13806
David with the 305 40 18 et street ss you would end up with a gear ratio of about 2.82.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Brand new NT05Rs will be fine for 1000 miles and 5ish passes.

Ronan978

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Sinai
State
NY
Country
United States
I daily from March until November on either 315/50/17 ET R's or 305/45/18 ET R's. I seriously don't think any other tire will compare. Just use common sense in the rain and they do surprisingly well.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
I drove my NTO5R's back and forth 190? miles and I really liked them.
I had mixed results at the track at 16 PSI but I may have not been heating them up enough.
I only gave them a short clean.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Not really wanting to do serious racing on my first time attending Drag Week, so planning to keep the stuff needed for racing to a minimum. My son is going with me and I also plan to register him as a second driver so we can compete with each other for low ET at each track. Planning to use the trunk space for beer cooler, small jack, helmets and small tool assortment. Luggage will go in the backseat. We are not going to be competitive in the class we are entering, and just doing it for fun.

David
That's how my brother and I approached it when we went: Just for the experience. We pulled a trailer (including a spare transmission) since we were quite a ways from home, and needed room a four wheel drag pack for an AWD SUV. You are going to have a blast - try to do as much daytime driving as possible as it is fun to see the country-side. Oh, and if you are able stop to help folks out at the side of the road - sometimes holding an umbrella for shade is a difference maker to a person stranded.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I've only got 850 miles on my NT555R's and can already tell them spinning a lot more than the first week I had them.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
I've only got 850 miles on my NT555R's and can already tell them spinning a lot more than the first week I had them.
The 555R and 05R are different beasts. When I had 05Rs on my Turbo Buick I was still pulling the same 60' times when they were new and well worn - the big difference being that car had an adjustable 4-link and these cars are saddled with IRS.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Right, just saying both of em can wear quickly on these cars

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Right, just saying both of em can wear quickly on these cars
LOL - I think I am going to need a bi-monthly tire budget once I get going this year.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
LOL - I think I am going to need a bi-monthly tire budget once I get going this year.
I know how you feel. I go through 3prs of drag radials a year. Basically only run the car for 6 months. I drive around on stock wheels and tires and use up about 3 or 4 weekends running 1/2 mile on stock tires.🙁
If our exchange rate could get back to where it was for awhile. I might be able to afford this nonsense again.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
I know how you feel. I go through 3prs of drag radials a year. Basically only run the car for 6 months. I drive around on stock wheels and tires and use up about 3 or 4 weekends running 1/2 mile on stock tires.🙁
If our exchange rate could get back to where it was for awhile. I might be able to afford this nonsense again.
To lessen the sting we could always arrange a bulk purchase using my discount and import them through the US.

OP
David Neibert
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake St. Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #15
I daily from March until November on either 315/50/17 ET R's or 305/45/18 ET R's. I seriously don't think any other tire will compare. Just use common sense in the rain and they do surprisingly well.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I know the 305/45/18 ET Rs would be much better on the track but was under the impression they are very sketchy if not dangerous if driven in the rain. Glad to hear someone thinks they aren't that bad.

David

OP
David Neibert
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake St. Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #16
David with the 305 40 18 et street ss you would end up with a gear ratio of about 2.82.
Jim,

Thanks for doing the math. Sounds a lot better than I expected and makes me feel a lot better about using this size tire.

David

OP
David Neibert
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake St. Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #17
I would be very comfortable doing that because I know it isn't going to grip well enough to break anything. I'm just curious to see what the car will run with a better gripping tire.

Thanks, David

OP
David Neibert
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake St. Louis
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #18
Jim,

What drag radial are you using and what is your best ET with them ?

Thanks, David

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
I know the 305/45/18 ET Rs would be much better on the track but was under the impression they are very sketchy if not dangerous if driven in the rain. Glad to hear someone thinks they aren't that bad.

David
In the rain, the ET STREET R's literally must be driven at 45 MPH or less. I would go with the ET STREET SS 305/40R18 and you literally have to NOT stand on it when driving on the street. Sure you can drive normal and keep up with traffic but if you are WOT even in the higher gears those tires WILL wear out in no time. I would also keep the burnouts to a minimum on the track and be agressive on the pressure to compensate. I would shoot for 14-15 hot.

This is that ET STREET SS @14PSi hot and it drives fine down the track......

. LAUNCH CROP.jpg

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Jim,

What drag radial are you using and what is your best ET with them ?

Thanks, David
I am using ET street R 305/45/17.
My best ET is a 10.37 x3 on the same day just to validate the time. LOL
Full disclosure is this was Nov 3rd and cold. Not enough cars to get heat in the track. So I was giving up a little on 60'. Compared to the weekend before when motorhead was with me.

Last edited: