Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Bando Belt Failure...

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Anyone have issues with the Bando blower belts provided with the Litens pulleys?

I've been running the Hellraiser 2.85 pulley and Bando belt for about 6000 miles with no issues. A little belt dust on occasion but nothing drastic by any means. Max boost levels have been 19-20lbs.

I always wondered why an inch smaller Green belt wouldn't have been the go to belt but I didn't asked when I purchased the Litens pulley from a known vendor. I just "assumed" the Bando belt was better for one reason or another and tested best with the Litens pulleys.

After a few pulls Friday night I noticed this Saturday morning. I think I'm going to try the correct size Gates Green belt and keep a close eye on it. The only thing I'm considering adding is the Metco, BWoody or ??? Tensioner pulley for more belt wrap to help eliminate any slip.

I just don't want this to be a band-aid but would rather fix the issue so I'm curious if anyone else has had the same problem. Suggestions?

thumbnail_20201003_162828.jpg

Last edited:

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
It almost looks like something ruined the composition of the belt. Like some oil or something got on it.. that's wild. Never seen that before.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
They use the black belt because its got more give than the green belt. Its softer on the hit to the whole drivetrain of the blower. 2.85 with 20lbs is a a lot of boost. Your probably getting some slippage and a lot of heat in the belt. That's normal wear for an old 70K-100K belt, but with the high boost, high rpm, high heat your just accelerating the wear. I would keep using the black and make it a service/replacement item like oil/tuneup. Green may knock rotors out of sinc on the pressed (non-pinned) rotor shafts with the quick spoolup and hard shut down after a run. That would be more trouble and cost than a belt swap.

OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #4
They use the black belt because its got more give than the green belt. Its softer on the hit to the whole drivetrain of the blower. 2.85 with 20lbs is a a lot of boost. Your probably getting some slippage and a lot of heat in the belt. That's normal wear for an old 70K-100K belt, but with the high boost, high rpm, high heat your just accelerating the wear. I would keep using the black and make it a service/replacement item like oil/tuneup. Green may knock rotors out of sinc on the pressed (non-pinned) rotor shafts with the quick spoolup and hard shut down after a run. That would be more trouble and cost than a belt swap.
Great info thanks! Now that you mentioned it I do remember something about it being a softer belt. Didn't exactly know the reasons why. With that said I do have the 'clutch' Litens Hellraiser so that should soften any off throttle shock after a pull, same as factory.

Everyone's thoughts on adding a tensioner pulley from Metco or BWoody to help with slip and provide a bit more belt wrap?

I've also been seeing a few people swapping out the VERY heavy OEM pulleys for the considerably lighter Metco pulleys equipped with "better" bearings rated at 18k rpms vs the OEM that's at around 12-14k rpms.

https://www.metcomotorsports.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HCKIT

I'd like to do a one-and-done fix and as you said keep an eye on it, consider it a wear item to be changed when needed.

Last edited:
OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #5
I did find out some additional information I figured I'd share. This was from a reputable Vendor that specializes in rebuilding/enhancing our blowers.

DO NOT USE an additional Pulley Wrap Idler: This component is not necessary for an isolated pulley like the Hellraiser and we do not recommend it. The very short belt span entering the supercharger pulley can put an additional axial force on the Hellraiser pulley if there is any excessive angularity in this pulley bracket assembly. The wrap without this idler is 180 degrees and provides low potential slip at the supercharger pulley. The belt slip due to the supercharger rotational inertia is removed with the Hellraiser pulley due to its internal wrap spring clutch design.

DO NOT USE Green Belts: The aramid cord construction and polyurethane combination is not ideal for use with the Hellraiser pulley. The SimDrive predicted hubloads on the Hellraiser pulley are significantly increased with the aramid corded belt. Higher dynamic loads are not desirable for the pulley/bearing strength or the bearing in the snout of the supercharger. This is why we recommend the Bando polyester corded belt.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Remember in May my Redeye spun an OEM pulley to failure (3000 miles) with the green belt it came with on a short road course. Some birdy actually whispered exactly the anti-green belt message as per above to me then too.

OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #7
Remember in May my Redeye spun an OEM pulley to failure (3000 miles) with the green belt it came with on a short road course. Some birdy actually whispered exactly the anti-green belt message as per above to me then too.
I've been a bit MIA lately on the forum and missed the problem you had with the OEM pulley. Hate to hear that but hopefully things worked out.

I'm going to heed the warning and go back with the recommended belt from Litens. I may just consider it being a wear item as coolblue mentioned. With that said I'd like to minimize the replacement as much as possible.

I'm curious on everyones thoughts on switching to the Metco pulleys. The tensioner and both idler pulleys. I've been emailing back and forth with Rick. He's been great. The Metco pulleys are considerably lighter (by a bunch) and have better bearings than factory, helping withstand higher rpm loads. I'm not sure if the lighter pulleys will also help with parasitic loss and/or help with belt slippage as they would "spool" much easier than OEM. Not sure if that's possible but I'm open to any suggestions to help with premature wear...other than putting boost levels back to stock. Lol

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
On a different note, I've been hoping to see you out and about while in my REWB but no luck so far. :) Keep dodging those dump trucks!

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I've been a bit MIA lately on the forum and missed the problem you had with the OEM pulley. Hate to hear that but hopefully things worked out.

I'm going to heed the warning and go back with the recommended belt from Litens. I may just consider it being a wear item as coolblue mentioned. With that said I'd like to minimize the replacement as much as possible.

I'm curious on everyones thoughts on switching to the Metco pulleys. The tensioner and both idler pulleys. I've been emailing back and forth with Rick. He's been great. The Metco pulleys are considerably lighter (by a bunch) and have better bearings than factory, helping withstand higher rpm loads. I'm not sure if the lighter pulleys will also help with parasitic loss and/or help with belt slippage as they would "spool" much easier than OEM. Not sure if that's possible but I'm open to any suggestions to help with premature wear...other than putting boost levels back to stock. Lol
I did well, thanks, and then been out helping the Mopar image on road courses since. Mopar gave me a new SC, and it has been flawless all summer at various events and racking up about 5000 more miles.

OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #10
On a different note, I've been hoping to see you out and about while in my REWB but no luck so far. :) Keep dodging those dump trucks!
Hahaha...tell me about it! Yeah it's not driven much but I do get out from time to time on those good weather days. I'm in Greenbriar Sub so you'll have to stop by if you see the garage door open. I'm usually home when it's open. 4th house on the left. We'll have to take a quick trip a little past Anahuac to compare notes. :)

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
I'll do that next time I'm out and about. For sure!

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
But yet redeye's come factory with green belts and the factory supercharger pulley is made by litens ...

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
I quit buying Bando belts at work.... Quality wasn’t there and they didn’t last as long. I consider it a cheap alternative but I wasn’t after that for my industrial application.
I’m a belt freak and only run gates. I would go with a black gates belt if you believe what they are saying. I personally would just put the green belt on and be done with it.

Last edited:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I quit buying Bando belts at work.... Quality wasn’t there and they didn’t last as long. I consider it a cheap alternative but I wasn’t after that for my industrial application.
I’m a belt freak and only run gates. I would go with a black gates belt if you believe what they are saying. I personally would just put the green belt on and be done with it.
Buying a bando belt is like buying a "Folex" watch . It might look the same but the quality is nowhere to be seen . Buy the good stuff and be done with it .

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
In my opinion they use bando belts to keep warranty claims to a minimum. It's cheaper for them if you keep replacing belts .

OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #16
Great info...appreciate the insight guys. I'll have to read up on the Gates black and may consider going back to the green. I'm not into replacing this damn belt anymore than I have to. Bit of a PITA IMO. :)

OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #17
But yet redeye's come factory with green belts and the factory supercharger pulley is made by litens ...

Exactly and that always confused me...

OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #18
Ordered (3) Metco pulleys. Tensioner and 2 idler. They finished production almost 2 weeks ahead of schedule. They'll be here Monday. I'll see how the Bando does with this set up. Hoping the lighter, better rotational drag of them will help with the life of the Bando. If I get premature wear I'll try the Gates black belt. If that one has the same issues...back to Green and hope for the best.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Ordered (3) Metco pulleys. Tensioner and 2 idler. They finished production almost 2 weeks ahead of schedule. They'll be here Monday. I'll see how the Bando does with this set up. Hoping the lighter, better rotational drag of them will help with the life of the Bando. If I get premature wear I'll try the Gates black belt. If that one has the same issues...back to Green and hope for the best.
I have the gates gold series belt on my car for 15,000 miles and it still looks like new and no issues with anything else .

Last edited:
OP
Djason

Djason

Member ID
Reactions
City
Beach City
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye WB
Thread Starter #20
I have the gates gold series belt on my car for 15,000 miles and it still looks like new and no issues with anything else .

Awesome thanks Hpindy! I'll see if they have the length I need.