Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Backup camera

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Well my backup camera is on the way out again I think. Went into reverse and the screen was blue. This will be the 4th time the camera has been replaced in this car. Well maybe, cars out of its 3 year warranty now. I may ask the dealer if they can reopen the old case and say it was a different issue than the camera if it is starting again so soon.
o and the touchscreen they just replaced in the fall has burn in now just like the old plasma TVs. Cars a 2018. Not very happy.
they are replacing the touchscreen for free so that’s a relief. Haven’t told them about the backup camera because that just started today.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Could the two be connected meaning it is the screen not showing the camara

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Never had a BU camera issue on with my cars but my Redeye is so much sharper than my Hellcat but the wife’s Durango is totally awesome. Makes my cars look like 35mm. :)

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #4
Could the two be connected meaning it is the screen not showing the camara
I wondered the same. I’m going to call tomorrow and see what they think.

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
2017 ChallengerHC. I have had display replaced once and cam once. Display behaving normally. Once every couple of weeks backup cam image dark blueish. Open trunk, close trunk and all normal til next time...

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #6
2017 ChallengerHC. I have had display replaced once and cam once. Display behaving normally. Once every couple of weeks backup cam image dark blueish. Open trunk, close trunk and all normal til next time...
Interesting. I have been using the trunk more this weekend than normal. So no long term issues just a glitch?

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Interesting. I have been using the trunk more this weekend than normal. So no long term issues just a glitch?
I assume i am in some cam prefailure phase. Been this way about 6 mos.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #8
I assume i am in some cam prefailure phase. Been this way about 6 mos.
Shoot. I was hoping you were going to tell me years.
I’m going to keep an eye on it for sure. But going through so many I wonder if there’s a different issue. I just got the car in July last year. The previous owner had it replaced. The dealer told me the backup cameras weren’t good and they have an upgraded version and that is what they put in. So I was hoping that was fix.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Well my backup camera is on the way out again I think. Went into reverse and the screen was blue. This will be the 4th time the camera has been replaced in this car. Well maybe, cars out of its 3 year warranty now. I may ask the dealer if they can reopen the old case and say it was a different issue than the camera if it is starting again so soon.
o and the touchscreen they just replaced in the fall has burn in now just like the old plasma TVs. Cars a 2018. Not very happy.
they are replacing the touchscreen for free so that’s a relief. Haven’t told them about the backup camera because that just started today.
Sounds to me like it might be a problem with the head unit properly processing the image, not the camera. Do they have a way they can test at the dealer, not just ship it out stamped as bad?