Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Anything wrong with running 100 octane on a contunuious basis?

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
So, now I have Stage 2 installed, every time I want to get full power I need to drain the tank and put in 100 octane. I was thinking it might be nice to just run 100 octane all the time. I don’t use it much so the extra cost is not that horrible ($9.99 vs $4.60/gal). Am I hurting anything (besides my wallet) doing this?

I was thinking maybe using octane booster which would result in about $6-$6.50/gal but then I read reports of plug fouling and suggestions that is is not a good idea to run booster on a continuous basis.

Anyone have experience with either of these?

Though I appreciate all the opinions you guys provide, I would really like to hear from the “been there, done that” guys here.

Thanks!

S100.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #2
YOU THINK I'M FUNNY!!! :ROFLMAO:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I'm completely jealous that you have it available at all, regardless of price.

Must be nice to live up there in the clouds, with all of the amusing people.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
That is a good price. The guy from vp I talked to said ms109 is good for about a month in the tank. I’m no expert but I suppose you’d be ok as long as you keep filling fresh unleaded race fuel. I’d still run some 93/tune or whatever premium you have periodically, but that’s just me. I have to order my race fuel and it’s $117/5gal:eek:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I'm completely jealous that you have it available at all, regardless of price.

Must be nice to live up there in the clouds, with all of the amusing people.
We have it here in WNY as well....it's been the same price the last 3 years....9.99...in more than a few places

GNBRETT

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Trackhawk, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Stang, Golf R
I have run Boostane in my Mustang. No issues just have to change the plugs every once in a while but it doesnt hurt anything. Maybe run some fuel injector cleaner ever so often.

$10 a gallon to DD it? No fukn way bro thats insane! Or is that a weekend cruiser? Either way its 2x the price of E85. E85 requires 30% more fuel volume so ull be getting far less MPG but at half the price of 100 octane so who cares.

Why not get an E85 tune. Will make more TQ to or maybe u dont have access to E85. Only 3 pumps here in CT and they are all 45 minutes from each other.

OR another option is to run methanol with an Alky kit. Edit: I just looked it looks like NH is worse than CT for E85 so forget that idea but shit u can buy them in 55 gallon drums and still cost about as much as 100 octane and ull get way more benifit from it.

Last edited:

Unholy707

6000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
So, now I have Stage 2 installed, every time I want to get full power I need to drain the tank and put in 100 octane. I was thinking it might be nice to just run 100 octane all the time. I don’t use it much so the extra cost is not that horrible ($9.99 vs $4.60/gal). Am I hurting anything (besides my wallet) doing this?

I was thinking maybe using octane booster which would result in about $6-$6.50/gal but then I read reports of plug fouling and suggestions that is is not a good idea to run booster on a continuous basis.

Anyone have experience with either of these?

Though I appreciate all the opinions you guys provide, I would really like to hear from the “been there, done that” guys here.

Thanks!

View attachment 140020
“ I won’t tell people if I win the lottery, but there will be signs”

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I have not changed out my tune for nearly 1.5 years now. The aftermarket suspension controller can be a PIA when we flip tunes so screw it. I add enough of the apparently stale VP109 I have to my tank to make mine ok. Guess in the next couple of weeks I better log a run or two and test his stale gas theory out. The car don’t get used that much but when it does it seems just as fresh and good as the last time. I’ll use up my supply of MS109 in the next month or so. Except for their opinion of it getting bad so they can sell us more, I don’t have a problem running increased octane in my RE continually.

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Hellcat Charger Redeye Widebody
I have run Boostane in my Mustang. No issues just have to change the plugs every once in a while but it doesnt hurt anything. Maybe run some fuel injector cleaner ever so often.

$10 a gallon to DD it? No fukn way bro thats insane! Or is that a weekend cruiser? Either way its 2x the price of E85. E85 requires 30% more fuel volume so ull be getting far less MPG but at half the price of 100 octane so who cares.

Why not get an E85 tune. Will make more TQ to or maybe u dont have access to E85. Only 3 pumps here in CT and they are all 45 minutes from each other.

OR another option is to run methanol with an Alky kit. Edit: I just looked it looks like NH is worse than CT for E85 so forget that idea but shit u can buy them in 55 gallon drums and still cost about as much as 100 octane and ull get way more benifit from it.
We get the shit end of the stick here in NH on E85. 93 pump gas and 100 octane race fuel or whatever else you can grab in cans is all we have.

I've thought about buying a drum of E85 or something but the management of it, trying to keep water out of it (E85 loves to suck moisture out of the air) is just too much work for me.

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #10
Thanks. Yeah, that's what I'm concerned about, which is exactly why I asked. I haven't tried to change plugs in the HC yet, hope I never do, I don't even know where they are! Which worries me... I'm hoping the OEM plugs will go 100kmi, that way they will be SEP (Someone Else's Problem) because I'll be dead! ;) (Or in the home drooling on myself!) :ROFLMAO:

Still would like to hear from those that have run high octane long term and whether it fouls like octane booster. Thanks!

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 F150 Platinum Whippled
My buddy kept 100 in his 18 Demon full time. No problems.

OP
2ndAmend

2ndAmend

2000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Thread Starter #12

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
We get the shit end of the stick here in NH on E85. 93 pump gas and 100 octane race fuel or whatever else you can grab in cans is all we have.

I've thought about buying a drum of E85 or something but the management of it, trying to keep water out of it (E85 loves to suck moisture out of the air) is just too much work for me.
I don't daily drive mine...(ther're wk. end warriors and an occasional nice weeknight jaunt)....my HC..100/93 50 50 split..even there are those that say ya dont need it with a stock tune.. my 18 demon nothin but 100 from day one..

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I do not know why or have heard that high octane fuel formulated as such is harmful.

When I was young we needed all that octane because of the high compressions needed. It was even leaded gas.

Use of other “additives” to increase octane by us non-chemists is a whole other item.:LOL:

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
I have not changed out my tune for nearly 1.5 years now. The aftermarket suspension controller can be a PIA when we flip tunes so screw it. I add enough of the apparently stale VP109 I have to my tank to make mine ok. Guess in the next couple of weeks I better log a run or two and test his stale gas theory out. The car don’t get used that much but when it does it seems just as fresh and good as the last time. I’ll use up my supply of MS109 in the next month or so. Except for their opinion of it getting bad so they can sell us more, I don’t have a problem running increased octane in my RE continually.
What's the issue with the suspension controller?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
What's the issue with the suspension controller?
The one DS sells don’t allow “updates” or apparently allows like three computer interactions to change anything. So? With it installed you (I did a few times) may get away with a few PCM or TCM changes with your great little tuner. All seems fine until the last time it can’t stand it, then it bricks itself! So my advice is to either not flip tunes OR take the controller out and temporally plug in the OEM unit, tune and then flip the suspension controller back. It don’t take much to remove and replace it.

Apparently the original made by DSC CAN BE accessed and changed and “tuned” all we want but cost a few hundred more than the DS unit.