Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Any sense to buying a used DCR Battery for a street car?

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I could probably get one from a local guy for something like 350. I don't know how old it is, so I've got to check that out first. The OEM battery in my '15 HC is going on 7 yrs now, so I'm anticipating a replacement any time, but I keep it on a CTEK charger and it hasn't failed me yet. I'd love to loose the weight, but it is in the best spot possible. My car is a fair weather car btw, so I don't run much mileage up on it. Thoughts? Thanks

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
If you're not racing it I wouldn't worry about weight. Run the OEM battery until it shits the bed and replace with an equivalent or better.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
In regular street use, what real difference would it make? Very little. And w the ridiculous voltage / current sensitivity these things have, why add another variable to the equation.

OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #4
I’m not as concerned with the weight savings as I am getting a powerful battery for a great price. I have read about the potential overcharge issues which is why I’m asking to begin with. Leaning towards taking a pass on it actually.

Last edited:

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
This is the battery I bought for daily use. I keep the DCR on the shelf for track days. My boy worked at Pep Boys at the time and he got parts at cost + 5%, I got the battery for about $90, it’s crazy the markup on these things. It has the vent port and all for hook up to factory vent hose.

54A0EB99-A3FD-42D0-8C51-61191C1EB432.png

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Nice. And mark up is serious. Prior to is companies moving manufacturing to china average margin on product was 7%. After, margin became 27%, on average (before distribution and retailer). And none of that money goes back into the business, creates us jobs, or supports us tech development. We are, to quote Khrushchev, paying them for the rope they will hang us with.

Banging shoe on podium