Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Allstate Wants to Track Your Driving to Determine Your Car Insurance Rate

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
YIKESšŸ˜±

Allstate is a leading seller of policies that use telematics in conjunction with credit scores and other traditional pricing factors, and it has a unit, Arity, that sells telematics services to other insurers.

ā€œThere is an opportunity to encourage innovation in the insurance industry, and we want to start that dialogue with regulators and others, and be thoughtful about how we step into this over time,ā€ Allstate Chief Legal Officer Rhonda Ferguson said in an interview.

ā€œIt takes collaboration across the industry to get thereā€”from legislators and regulators creating clear and consistent rules for driving-based rating plans to insurers advancing telematics programs and customers using them,ā€ Ms. Ferguson added.

Allstateā€™s championing of telematics is the latest development as state insurance regulators fulfill a pledge from last year to scour existing practices to identify those that might place minorities at a disadvantage. Auto insurersā€™ use of credit scores is one area of concern.

Most states permit insurers to use credit-based factors, but consumer groups have long maintained that the practice is unfair to low-income and many minority consumers because they are overrepresented in lower credit-scoring categories.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Nationwide has one of those things you can plug into your car to tell them how you drive.....all in the name of alleged "discounts". I don't have one of those devices in my vehicle. Everytime my agent tells me I could save money on my insurance with one of those, I tell her no way.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
F**k those nosey bastards. No way Iā€™d put one of those devices on my cars.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Nationwide has one of those things you can plug into your car to tell them how you drive.....all in the name of alleged "discounts". I don't have one of those devices in my vehicle. Everytime my agent tells me I could save money on my insurance with one of those, I tell her no way.
Could it because you wouldn't? All those full throttle pulls with those flowmasters humming! Yeah,I don't think so:LOL:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Could it because you wouldn't? All those full throttle pulls with those flowmasters humming! Yeah,I don't think so:LOL:
Well.......that could be part of it :LOL:

There is also a short curve in the main road of my development and people park their vehicles in the curve so there are times when I come through there that the accident prevention system throws the collision warning and applies the brakes because it thinks I'm about to run into someone. I don't need my insurance company dinging me for more money because they see these "hard brake" applications several times per month sometimes.

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Iā€™m insured with Allstate. When I was setting up the policy for my Hellcat the agent on the phone suggested this monitoring system for better rates. I asked her if she knew what a Hellcat was and suggested the monitor wasnā€™t a good ideaā€¦ā€¦

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Ok Allstate, I have a good way to make insurance more affordable. Lets regulate the insurance industry and make maximum annual CEO compensation at 1 million dollars/yr and regulate the salaries of their other executives. I bet that would improve rates.

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
State Farm took away the opportunity for lowering charges by removing collision while my car is garaged for the PA winter. Saved me 5 months of that expense. Great new opportunity to save, they saidā€¦ they will discount if I meet their ā€œ safe driverā€ definition and will use a tracker to judge. Uhhhhā€¦ no thanks.

safe driver? I havenā€™t had a ticket or claim in over 18 years. Am shopping insurance companies as we speak. Have had them for almost 30 years with 1 claim for a deer hit dent. Cars, bikes, home, umbrella, etc. Done.

Perhaps rates would be lower if the thieves and jackers were prosecuted to the full extent of the law vs emboldened by ā€œ catch & releaseā€.
sorryā€¦ got triggered

Last edited:

MurderCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Whipple Hellcat (Sold) 22 GMC 2500HD Denali
Sounds like a good way to get price hikes or dropped from insurance on a Hellcat/High performance vehicle :cool: Also strongly agree with the post above. The fact it's cheaper to insure a Lamborghini vs. a Hellcat says something.

Geico offers the same 'Safe Driver' service but uses your phones sensors+GPS tracking. Next up RFID chips in your wrists with a Social credit score like China.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
And if they find that an accident is your fault, in any way, theyā€™ll use that information against you come time to pay up.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
State Farm made me the same offer, I just laughed and declined. I can only see it raising my rates, especially on the Hellcat.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
State Farm took away the opportunity for lowering charges by removing collision while my car is garaged for the PA winter. Saved me 5 months of that expense. Great new opportunity to save, they saidā€¦ they will discount if I meet their ā€œ safe driverā€ definition and will use a tracker to judge. Uhhhhā€¦ no thanks.

safe driver? I havenā€™t had a ticket or claim in over 18 years. Am shopping insurance companies as we speak. Have had them for almost 30 years with 1 claim for a deer hit dent. cars, bikes, home, umbrella, etc. Done.

Perhaps rates would be lower if the thieves and jackers were prosecuted to the full extent of the law vs emboldened by ā€œ catch & releaseā€.
sorryā€¦ got triggered

I vote for a 7.62 round to the head.

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
I run the State Farm program. "Drive Safe & Save".
It works for me as my cars sit for days on end and I drive mostly like a true old Florida geezer...until it's time for some "spirited" driving, I just turn off Blue Tooth on phone. No more recording. I have had zero issues with mileage not matching up.

It's not for everybody. šŸ˜

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
ROFLMAO. Big brother is watching.

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #15
IMO insurance companies should charge you for miles and exposure and idle time should be big discounts but yeh I get it. For all the years and for so many cars I own and have owned they maybe get 2-3k miles on them a year but are being quoted for use in the categories of others faults. The Insurance Companies have a Huge presence in all the political and state guidelines with lobbyists. Just look at Speeding tickets this is Huge way of charging you more if you get a ticket or two. Itā€™s ridiculous since your labeled as a high risk driver. And yep then they jack your rates. The vehicles of today are still being treated as yesteryears vehicles. And many roads are outdated on speed limits as well. In the DC metro area the posted Speed is 55 and yeh right everyone drives 65-75 mph in packs all day. And you just know the insurance companies are looking for ways to nickel and dime the crap out of there policy holders.

GBLWRMR

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
South
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Super Stock
I have Allstate and choose not to take the "Drive-Wise" discount via their mobile app. It has no way of knowing who's driving when the "incident" occurs. I am far more a passenger than a driver as I work form home and don't mind letting the GF drive when we head out. Why should my rates change based on HER ability to drive?

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
Well, if I do get it. Do you suppose they would be able to critique me on where to pick up speed / time on a road course. They would probably cancel me straight away and report me to the POPO for willful reckless driving. Excessive speed, hard braking, high speed / G turns and possibly a spin out or off track excursion [raceflag][rant] Let them put that in their pipes and smoke it. [hatchet][targetpractice][histerical]

Taxinator

Member ID
Reactions
City
SANTA CLARITA
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT
Oh, itā€™s not just insurance companies, looks like the feds and states want to do the same in order to implement the Vehicle Miles Traveled (VMT) tax: https://www.northbaybusinessjournal...cle-miles-traveled-user-fee-to-replace-gas-t/

Remember Bidenā€™s steaming pile of dog excrement called the $1 trillion Infrastructure bill? This bill passed and the VMT pilot program is part of the Bill. https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfr...package-includes-vehicle-mileage-tax-program/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfr...package-includes-vehicle-mileage-tax-program/

They want to track our vehicles and bank account activity, all that is left is for them to track us within our homesā€¦Iā€™m sure they are working on it. šŸ˜‚

Last edited:

GBLWRMR

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
South
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Super Stock
all that is left is for them to track us within our homesā€¦Iā€™m sure they are working on it. šŸ˜‚
"Alexa.. what are they doing now?.." :ROFLMAO:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Insurance is a racket. A RACKET. I'm USAA and I still say insurance in general is a racket. Seen too many times they've screwed people over.