Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Air inlet modification

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
I noticed that the passenger side air inlet is capped off.

Has anybody thought about or has plumbed the passenger side in the into the Airbox?

I looked at it and it seems pretty tight to be able to route the same diameter inlet into the airbox.
Has anyone just remove the cap to allow air in to cool the engine.

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Did on my 16.
Plan on, but have not done on my 19 yet.
Did get the DIPS, but haven't installed yet.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
DIPS in mine, but routing another hose to the airbox seems like too much effort for no proven return.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
DIPS in mine, but routing another hose to the airbox seems like too much effort for no proven return.
I bought some 2” duct hose to do this with but there’s no good way to route it that’s not frugly. I put the center cap back in P side lamp and aborted the thought.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
OP
Tape

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
Thread Starter #6
Is DIPS a necessity?

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Nope, not at all.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Why do you want to do this? (Speaking in general)

I can think of more ways that this could potentially has adverse affects than I can postive affects.

My guess is it's going to drive your IATs up because there's no way you're keeping that air from heating up significantly as it crosses the entire engine bay in a relatively small tube.

Best case scenario is does nothing for you.

Just a guess, it's possible I'm wrong. It's happened once or twice.

Last edited:

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Depending on what hood you have, I could see removing the plastic cover plate and just leaving it open to the engine bay as a possible way to help get hot air out of the engine while driving.

The 2015/2016 hood already uses the vacuum created off the hood where the 2 vents are located to help "pull" hot air out while air is flowing over the surface, maybe adding a high pressure opening at the front will help to increase the velocity of the air as it is pulled from the low pressure (or negative pressure) area by the vents.

But I'd have to think, if there was a benefit to be had by that opening, SRT would've used it.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I've read articles where some people have opened that passenger side light up and fit some flexible tubing in from Autozone or Advance just to get some additional airflow into the engine bay.

I looked at doing the same, but I opted not to go through the work for what seemed like not much advantage. Plus, my car was my DD for a few months and I didn't want rain water getting pushed through it onto the modules that sit right behind it in the engine bay.
This, on the surface, seems like a really bad idea.

That flexible tubing has no ability to limit heat transfer. By the time that air hit the intake, it would be very close to, if not exactly, the same temperature as the engine compartment.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I probably should've clarified......

I wasn't looking to run the tubing all the way over to the airbox, I was just looking at opening the light up just to get additional cooling airflow through the engine bay as a way to lower overall engine bay temps.

Now.....if these cars were still carb'd.....I would've opened it up and run tubing to the air cleaner just like back in the good old days.
Yeah, I'm just talking out loud while I procrastinate on finishing this essay I am writing for my Masters degree.

For some perspective, when I had my Shaker 392, I opened up the drivers side headlight and added the Mopar tube from the headlight to the airbox. I took some data for a few days and concluded it really had no measurable impact.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
And, if there was some benefit to reducing engine bay temps by just leaving that headlight open, why wouldn't SRT just do that from the factory? You'd have to think that heat is one of the main contributors to failure of many of those parts under the hood, so at first glance you'd think it would help improve reliability.

Maybe they're just assholes who want us to pay for replacement parts...

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
When I got my 1320, I added the duct from the driver light to the airbox and I also added the T/A CAI that ties in the center hood scoop to the airbox. Doing those mods lowered my intake air temp a nice amount from when everything was closed off and only drawing air from the bottom of the box.
You probably had all the advantage you were going to get, or at least the biggest part by already having the Shaker pulling in plenty of cooler air.
Maybe!

The truth of the matter is, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference unless you're at the track or something.

If you're driving around in the city, or have to stop for any reason, your IATs quickly become overwhelmed by the engine bay temp and it is very difficult to counter that with small mods like this. The only thing you can really do it get the car moving again.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I asked the same question about the belly pan. When you're driving along, especially at higher speeds, having the bottom closed off should cause a pressurization of the engine bay that is of no real benefit since the incoming air would get bunched up in the box of the engine bay. Blocking up all that air in the engine bay has to be counter productive at some point at higher speeds.....or so goes my line of thinking.
I believe this has been addressed, someone correct me if I am wrong. I think SRT's official stance is, from a performance standpoint, you're better off without the belly pan.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Now, if you guys just give me your thoughts on Gray Zone Warfare and Hybrid Competition, especially regarding Russia/China/Iran/Lebanon, I can get this damn essay done.

And let the hijack begin. @Tape, sorry not sorry.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Seems right to me, and I'm pretty sure in my Camaro's literature on going to the track they told you to take it off.

I just didn't understand how FCA marketed my car as a drag oriented car and didn't give it every small advantage they they could.
Well, it has to be a function of reliability and keeping crap off/out of the engine bay.

It's not just a drag oriented car, it's a drag oriented car you can drive everyday with a warranty! Which, honestly, is pretty impressive. I am very impressed with my Hellcat's daily drive-ability and how easy/relatively inexpensive it is to work on. That says a lot about the engineering team at SRT.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Technology has been the great equalizer for these types of things. It has given nations that don't have the technology or means to deliver conventional types of weaponry a means to level the playing field. These things have been going on for years, but the smaller nations never had a way to do the types of destabilizing acts that normal, and even the standard level of unconventional warfare could accomplish. It's not like Lebanon is going to crank up their navy and pull up to our shores and drop off 10,000 screaming Marines, same for Iran. With the internet and technology, they no longer need a military capable of invading the U.S., they just need a warehouse full of tech savvy people who can spend all day hacking into our systems. Add in the larger powers of the world as their sponsors and enablers, and now the power of the smaller nations is increased expontentially through an internet connection. No large intercontinental missile. No large global bombers. A piece of cable and a PC. And the desire. A State sponsor only works to magnify those efforts, and the damage they are able to do.

Of course, when we have our assets in their part of the world, they can still use insurgencies, asymetric warfare, and their power over the local population to stymie our efforts. The basics of fear, intimidation and radicalization of the local populace work against our efforts the same as they have for the last 60 years (ie: the Viet Cong, ISIS, Al Qaeda, PLO, HAMAS, and various others).

Add these two together, and now we're not just fighting them on their turf, but here as well. Without the technological benefits, they would not be able to as easily advertise their propaganda through social media and sway public opinion here. They would not be able to increase their ability to hack into our election system. They would not be able to easily subvert our information systems and financial systems (ie: credit reporting agencies).

These are all activities that don't challenge us in the stereotypical frontal military attack. Challenging us in that fashion doesn't work well for them, and would be very costly.

There's my 18 cents
Thanks but I submitted my paper hours ago. Most of it was typed up after a few drinks, we'll see how that plays out!

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Here is this transplanted hill bill's 19 cents. Bomb em all before they bomb us. Best offence is the best offence. Wood you make a shot 1.5 miles away with a 50 cal black powder cannon or one made in Zepherhills last week.
Closing off that small of an air duct that supplies a certain amount of CFMs is very small. To run it across the engine bay, heat, with tubing and outer insulation. Homer Depot or Lowes has the OD you are looking for with Armaflex painted with Armacell . Special for rubber insulation so it does not dry rot with moisture and heat. I don't see the improvement obtained by the hassel and materials costings. Turn off all the vents and you are only going to get a certan amount of air thru the vented pipe. Unless you have the room for a booster fan and increase the cooling capasity under the hood,, why?? May as well install a chiller and booster fan and increase the duct size. Not by much it has to be.

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Could I ask what you are referring to as DIPS?
I have removed my PS headlight cap to add extra air circulation into the engine bay. I do not drive in the rain...on purpose...so I figure any extra air flow can hurt. I have ordered Merrick grill inserts for both side to Help keep anything out that could cause damage.
https://merrickmotorsports.com/prod...dard-style-rear-mount-headlight-intake-grille

Last edited: