Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Adventures in Motor Replacement

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
So, I'm in one of my friends shops today picking up wife's car. We hear the roar of this motor from the far bay, and all the mechanics cheer loudly. He shakes his head and we keep talking. Happens a second time, with even more cheering. I head out into the shop asking what happened, "did you finally fix one?" It's a Toyota Landcruiser and this guy has had it sitting for years. Brings it down to them, tells them "the crank is broken" but he's having a new motor shipped in and wants them to install. So motor arrives, book says 25 hours to replace. Mike, tows the LC into the bay starts diagnosing it. No fault codes. Someone had done timing chain work on it at some point. And when they closed it back up had caught part of the harness with the tensioner pulley. It had torn the wires and also jammed the harness cover tightly up under the timing chain cover. He pulls the harness cover fragments out, replaces a few lengths of wire, cranks the motor and the son of bitch starts right up. The "new" replacement motor is sitting in the next bay. Can't wait for that conversation.

Epilogue - shortly after I left the fan threw two blades. Thing is just a mess it was left to sit so long.

"I found out what was wrong with it by watching youtube!"