Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

AAD Performance Drag Pack Install

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Good discussion here: https://www.hellcatforum.org/threads/looks-like-go-man-go-was-good-this-year.7822/

Thanks for all the tips on alignment, that's up next.

Crew Chief Greg and I opted to drop the cradle for the install. I'm not keen on cutting stuff on the car. I didn't think dropping the cradle was that big of a deal. Four bolts and it was easy to maneuver on the jack. Lined right back up going in, and based on the puck marks on the body once we put it back in it was maybe off 2mm from where it was originally, but the bolts threaded in very easily by hand so it was definitely aligned. To have any hope of getting a torque wrench on some of the bolts will require a rather long extension, but is what it is. Finally be aware of the factory toe link cam bolts. Passenger side on mine was a bit cross threaded on the washer on the back side of the cradle. Took us an hour to figure out why the bolt wouldn't come out, and I had to bump it forward with the impact while Greg used channel locks on the washer to get the washer free. Driver side just slid right out.

Definitely have a buddy to help as it goes A LOT faster.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Watched it on youtube earlier, nice video like always:)

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #3
Thank you sir, kind of a fun project actually.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I'm looking at doing it myself sometime also:)

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I was able to cut the trapped bolt for the upper arm off without cutting the body or damaging anything.

What did get nicked up...got undercoated and covered when finished just like the mods for the 315/50's.

In retrospect...should've just dropped the cradle...but didn't have the correct equipment at the time. I probably COULD now...but motivation lacks.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
@Speedy! about how far down from the chassis did you drop the cradle? Tough to tell by the vid. I dropped mine to do the BMR Cradle Lock Out Bushings, but only needed like 3/4 in. While not a pita, I’m a 1 man op here and would hate to have to drop it again.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #7
I had to drop the cradle about 5 or 6 inches. It was actually very easy. I'd never done it before and people act like it's difficult so I wasn't sure what to expect but easy peasy.

Also, my short sway bar end links didn't cause any contact. I know that's been a concern for some @fubar569 @DGatzby @16GoManGoHC2

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
You wouldn't have contact on the lift or in the garage...but make sure you go throw that big girl around some good healthy corners and work the suspension just to be safe.

I used Bwoody links and have no contact. Some others have reported the contact with other brands.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #9
Hopefully you watched the video 😎

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I did...but I also did not subscribe. Just because you said to [:p]

Looks like you have it covered. That is tight as it can get while still clearing. But it clears...and boy did you ever have it fully slammed!

That speaks a good bit to how stiff overall these things actually are.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
You wouldn't have contact on the lift or in the garage...but make sure you go throw that big girl around some good healthy corners and work the suspension just to be safe.

I used Bwoody links and have no contact. Some others have reported the contact with other brands.
I have B Woody links as well, I didn’t have any rubbing issues either for about 6 months now.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #12
Mine are the HHP stock shortened ones.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
When you unbolted the cradle, (still on the jack), how much did it want to "push down" or move on you?

With just a single jack under it, when you then started to drop it, did it want to twist much?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I had to drop the cradle about 5 or 6 inches. It was actually very easy. I'd never done it before and people act like it's difficult so I wasn't sure what to expect but easy peasy.

Also, my short sway bar end links didn't cause any contact. I know that's been a concern for some @fubar569 @DGatzby @16GoManGoHC2
They may when you really press it and it starts leaning. Not apparent early maybe. So be careful if you don’t want to mark up your new good looking arm.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Mine are the HHP stock shortened ones.
Maybe they are shorter? I don’t remember, but we posted our guess, but there is obviously a short enough length that works ok.

I am a pig. AAD said they are going to make some with those new bushings. I really like those things above anything I have ever seen. Smooth and quiet.

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
Speedy,

Really informative, well-edited video. Anyone who can tackle this themselves will save themselves a lot of money. Well above my pay grade so I had to have the dealership do it. AAD does have some non-legally affiliated, but recommended shops around the country who can do this work for customers. None were near me.

I had help making various decisions about which adjustable tabs to start with in my AAD Performance front and rear arms, both from AAD and, thankfully, knowledgeable posters on this forum. I got all the available AAD parts at the same time, and had my dealership install them at the same time when they put in polyethylene rear cradle bushings. I am pleased with the way the car rides and handles with these upgrades - it is as quiet as stock, feels more planted on the road, tighter in turns, and generally feels more responsive driving fast during some HPDE events I participated in this summer. In particular the car didn't break loose as easily as it did last year. I was able to compare this fall's handling to the one day last fall I ran the same road course before the installation. Same stock wheels and all-season tires, same weather conditions. Apples to apples.

Look forward to hearing which tabs you wind up with in the various rear arms, and what rear camber and rear toe values you get with them.

Best,

Finface

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

People make everything sound difficult online:LOL:
It is so easy now to do projects with people like yourself making video of installs. I did plenty of stuff back in the 90's that I had to figure out on my own. This stuff has gotten harder to work on though or I have just gotten old enough were I don't like doing it as much:unsure:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I have had the rear suspension apart many many times on my car . It's actually pretty easy to do . All I have is a jack and Jack stands to work with . I think the AAD arms are a great upgrade for the average user . I really like the ease if alignment adjustment . I will have my AAD arms on the shelf for when I'm done testing other stuff .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #19
When you unbolted the cradle, (still on the jack), how much did it want to "push down" or move on you?

With just a single jack under it, when you then started to drop it, did it want to twist much?
We left one of the rear cradle bolts loose but installed at all times, so the cradle didn't really seem to want to move around much at all. The back did drop faster than the front when lowering the jack, likely due to the drive shaft.

They may when you really press it and it starts leaning. Not apparent early maybe. So be careful if you don’t want to mark up your new good looking arm.
I show it in the video. I "think" I'd have to do a Dukes of Hazzard jump to make it touch but we'll see.

People make everything sound difficult online:LOL:
It is so easy now to do projects with people like yourself making video of installs. I did plenty of stuff back in the 90's that I had to figure out on my own. This stuff has gotten harder to work on though or I have just gotten old enough were I don't like doing it as much:unsure:
Haha, my buddy and I were talking about exactly that. When I was 20 years younger I did everything with standard hand tools on my back in a gravel driveway in the rain, cold, or blistering heat. I couldn't afford anything nice and none of my friends had anything better LOL.

Over the years I built up a nice toolbox of good tools I know how to use and finally got a nice shop to work in with heat and cold a/c and now I'm getting to where I don't wanna deal with the sore back and knuckles for 3 or 4 days after a project. Kind of a shame really, wish I'd had access to this stuff when I was younger.

A lift would definitely help with the sore back. When I built the shop 5 years ago I had an M6 fully built R/T Challenger that I thought would break an axle, drive shaft, differential, or anything else at any time, so I had provisions for a lift put in. Right after I built the shop I traded the R/T for the Hellcat and honestly I've only needed a lift twice in 4 years to work on it. Once to install the drive shaft, and now this suspension, so I'm not sure it's worth it at this point with the car being so reliable (knock on wood).

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Good job @Speedy! , those are some nice upgrades, can't wait to see improvement at the track, 60'.