Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

~5hp Class Two Stage 220v Air Compressors - what do you run?

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
The shed should be dropped off in the next 2 weeks hopefully so there will be room in the garage at first for and then remotely in the shed for a new compressor.

I currently have zero air sources. My dad has a little 3hp single stage craftsman that isnt horrible but its loud and runs out of steam really quick on a half inch or larger gun. I'm impatient. I'd rather oversize than undersize this.

So I'm looking towards a ~5hp Two Stage machine. Most of these flow 13-18 scfm at 90-175psi and have a 60 or 80 gallon tank.

Short list so far:

Quincy QT54 pro. 5hp 2 stage 60g 220 single phase.
Industrial Air IV5076055 5hp 2 60g 220 single phase.

About a 250 dollar price spread. Both need a maintenance kit for extended warranty. Similar footprints. Noise won't be an issue once remote mounted. In the meantime I may muffle it.

What do you have/use/run/recommend/etc?

If I had to specify a budget...I'd say the Quincy would be at the high end of it to give you an idea.

What say you?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I have been through, or used, more air compressors than just about anybody on this planet. :oops:

Ok, not really, but did it sound credible for a moment? :rolleyes:

Air compressors are a bitch, unless you're buying a 100cfm screw-type, you're eventually going to find you don't have enough capacity.

With that said, buy what you can afford. Also, for the sake of argument, air compression is all about HP, (they (piston driven) are all pretty much the same efficiency), so it comes down to HP/watts, more HP means more air.

I've got a 7hp currently and it gets me by most of the time, unless I'm blowing out the sprinklers, then I wish I had more. A LOT more...

The last time I was happy with an air compressor it was a 120cfm screw-type Quincy that I paid $11,000 for. We had a 120 gallon tank just for surge (you don't really need a tank with a screw type), full filtration (almost lab quality air) and a dryer.

I don't have any direct experience with the Industrial Air, but I do with Quincy and I was very happy with that unit. ( I miss my old shop )

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
We had a quincy screw at the old shop too. Probably 30+hp equivalent, same filtration and dryer setup and it ran 5-6 double deep semi-truck bays 24/7. I don't recall heading it run that often but it was awfully quiet for something that big. Wish I had that kind of a budget (and need)!

I would anticipate that the largest regular air tool I'd use is a good 1/2" impact, several various die grinders, cutoff wheels, air nibbler, etc. I dont plan to paint anything or get too god awful crazy...just like to not have to do as much by hand as often...and if something is stuck..i want it unstuck. Now.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
We had a quincy screw at the old shop too. Probably 30+hp equivalent, same filtration and dryer setup and it ran 5-6 double deep semi-truck bays 24/7. I don't recall heading it run that often but it was awfully quiet for something that big. Wish I had that kind of a budget (and need)!

I would anticipate that the largest regular air tool I'd use is a good 1/2" impact, several various die grinders, cutoff wheels, air nibbler, etc. I dont plan to paint anything or get too god awful crazy...just like to not have to do as much by hand as often...and if something is stuck..i want it unstuck. Now.

The impact will be zero problem on either of those, the cutoff will run well too, unless you're doing a big job like cutting up an electrical enclosure. Done that more than once.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I have an Ingersoll-Rand 2 stage 5 HP 60 Gallon with 15.8 SCFM at 90-175 psi that I bought in 2004. You definitely want a two stage if you are doing any painting or media blasting. I used it for sandblasting outside with 1/2” line when I was doing some car restoration and now mostly just use it for my blast cabinet, some air tools, pumping up tires and cleaning things with air. Never had any problem with it in 16 years. I have a hookup for a 3/8” Line and one for 1/2” line when I need more volume like for sandblasting. I have a 60 amp breaker panel in the garage that is just barely enough to run my garage lights, outlets, air compressor and heat pump. image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Slows2k

Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger
I’ve got a Quincy QT54.. it’s quieter than the old oil less 25 year old 40 gallon Craftsman. Also made in Alabama, unlike the IR’s that were made in India.

OP
F

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
I have an Ingersoll-Rand 2 stage 5 HP 60 Gallon with 15.8 SCFM at 90-175 psi that I bought in 2004. You definitely want a two stage if you are doing any painting or media blasting. I used it for sandblasting outside with 1/2” line when I was doing some car restoration and now mostly just use it for my blast cabinet, some air tools, pumping up tires and cleaning things with air. Never had any problem with it in 16 years. I have a hookup for a 3/8” Line and one for 1/2” line when I need more volume like for sandblasting. I have a 60 amp breaker panel in the garage that is just barely enough to run my garage lights, outlets, air compressor and heat pump. View attachment 20535 View attachment 20536
My electrical situation is similar if not worse.

The house is a 200a main with a newer panel. The garage is fed 60a 220v from that main to the sub which is an old fuse panel. Aside from not knowing what goes where or how half of the garage is wired...that's gotta go. I have no 220 outlets and definitely not large enough to run that compressor. To add to this...that feed is buried in conduit under cement and not easy to replace if needed.

I would ideally like to verify if the wiring is good for a full 100a or update it if needed, install a new panel in the garage, 220v outlets on each wall, 110 on each wall, one for lights and one for fridge. Should leave enough breaker for a 220 and 110 to the shed when needed.

As long as the electrician can get the feed replaced and new panel hung up...I can handle the rest. Not sure if I'm gonna finish the walls or not at this point.

Slows2k

Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger
I’ve got 2 220 circuits in my garage, 1 for a bendpak lift, the other for the Quincy compressor. It’s a residential 200amp service. As long as the compressor and the lift aren’t running at the same time, I’ve got enough power.

The big compressor runs much shorter than my old one, and will maintain 175psi tank pressure. I put a clutch in a Miata yesterday, ran air tools all afternoon and the compressor cycled twice.

Rhe compressor it’s very heavy, 600ish lbs? Getting it off a pickup bed was a near disaster. You’ll want to bolt it to the floor as well.

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
I have 2 stage Campbell Hausfeld 80-gallon vertical air compressor. I have had it for almost 25 years - it is worth its weight in gold...

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I've been real happy with my Quincy QT54. Haven't run it out of air yet and I've done a fair bit of cut off wheel and grinding work with it.

71SixPack

Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Elizabeth
State
CO
Country
United States
I’m using an older Champion 2 stage 80 gal. upright. Was 7.5 hp 3ph. But p.o. converted to 5 hp 1 ph. Has an automatic tank drain. Fairly quiet too. Looks like this.
IMG_0099.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk