Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2020 Lineup Across the Board (all makes) Doesn’t Excite

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
So as a bit of a self proclaimed vehicle whore, I’m always looking for the next big thing (doesn’t mean I buy, but I always look) I have to be honest, nothing on the market really excites me anymore. Maybe I’m spoiled with the fleet I have in the garage (2012 Power Wagon for a daily driver, 2016 Challenger Hellcat, and the wife has a Colorado ZR2 she loves) but the current market in what I consider affordable is just a major bummer. I’m hoping the 2020 Super Duty in the Tremor Package with the 7.3L Gas Motor is a hit, and I’m cautiously optimistic about the Rebel TRX, but nothing else gets me excited. Anybody else feel this way?

79C32EFF-7D60-4022-8B1B-3FBB53DD1E11.jpeg 7E1E41AC-01A2-4D68-9D80-F835ED49925D.jpeg C7827883-DE0E-4623-98F4-BF26B79A1E0E.jpeg

Last edited:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Anybody else feel this way?
Not me. I recently got rid of four fun cars, and a trailer, but still have far too many. But that didn't stop me from ordering a Trackhawk.
Why? Because I've never had a Grand Cherokee, and one with a blower can't be all bad.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
I was spun up about ordering 20 widebody Hellcat but seeing the used prices sort of makes me think about used.
Not much difference except for the price!!
Considered a C8 curvette but too small and too low.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Nope. Since the getting our HC I am pretty much done with new cars beyond outright necessity. I am starting to think I want another 1999-2002 Z28 Camaro... that was such a pure driving experience. Only problem is they are all roached out now, and some asshats are pretending like they have reached collector car status (if you want a clean one).

Ah well... that is a pipe dream until we get the Mrs her dream car.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Nope. Since the getting our HC I am pretty much done with new cars beyond outright necessity. I am starting to think I want another 1999-2002 Z28 Camaro... that was such a pure driving experience. Only problem is they are all roached out now, and some asshats are pretending like they have reached collector car status (if you want a clean one).

Ah well... that is a pipe dream until we get the Mrs her dream car.
I would consider one of those Camaro's for a ET drag car.
And it wouldn't have to be pristine!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
MY20 HC was supposed to be something special...

Detuned Hellephant...

THAT would have been a mash hit!

:(

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
Not a modern Chevy fan, but they hit the ball out of the park with the new Vette. The GT500 is also impressive, but Ford dealers will be asking stupid ADMs for them for a long time. As much as I love the Hellcat the platform is getting long in the tooth. I'm with motorhead my days of buying new cars are over except a new commuter car for my wife every 5-7 years. Watched a recent review of the new widebody Charger and it was underwhelming unfortunately.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
But that's the thing: What more can we reasonably expect? Cars are dead nuts reliable, handle well, perform great, look pleasing. Hell, even tech has jumped the shark to the point we are going to see legislation pull it back out or restrict its use.

You say the Challenger/Charger look dated? I say they look timeless. With all the EVs going to Jestsons bubble car designs or weird cyber-punk designs or everything else is a CUV suppository what cars are going to be left looking relatable?

These ones. Even the Mustang and Camaro still look like something "normal", and by normal I mean distinctive.

Oh, and I was wrong - there is one brand that still speaks to me: McLaren. It is just unobtainium... and no manual transmission options.

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
But that's the thing: What more can we reasonably expect? Cars are dead nuts reliable, handle well, perform great, look pleasing. Hell, even tech has jumped the shark to the point we are going to see legislation pull it back out or restrict its use.

You say the Challenger/Charger look dated? I say they look timeless. With all the EVs going to Jestsons bubble car designs or weird cyber-punk designs or everything else is a CUV suppository what cars are going to be left looking relatable?
Everything you said is true but not much difference between a 2020 and a 2015. I’m glad there is an ample supply of used options out there. I think the number of people willing to drop 70-90k on a new Hellcat is dwindling. If they marked them down to the prices with the big rebates into 2020 it could probably keep it going for awhile longer.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Everything you said is true but not much difference between a 2020 and a 2015. I’m glad there is an ample supply of used options out there. I think the number of people willing to drop 70-90k on a new Hellcat is dwindling. If they marked them down to the prices with the big rebates into 2020 it could probably keep it going for awhile longer.
I think you hit the nail on the head. A loaded RE is now creeping dangerously close to $100k msrp. Once you crest the $80k price point, you lose a large percentage of buyers, regardless of greatness.
Power Bucks in 2020 will be needed unless they just pull back on production numbers imo. I may have one more new one in me but not if it’s going to be over $80k. It was why I didn’t pull the trigger on a Demon back when msrp was available at numerous dealers. Not spending over $80k, don’t care even if it’s a Demon. I think I’m the guy you described, a dwindling customer for a $70-90k car lol.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
I hear you. But... why do you feel you need something new every 5 years? Change for the sake of change is wasteful. The industry has you convinced that you NEED change or you are losing out. Losing out on what exactly? I need someone to explain that to me. Yeah, it is the premise of capitalism - but, is it realistic to demand more just because? Because I see nothing wrong with the Hellcats out of the box for the money outlay.

If 6 year power train warranty and 707hp isn't enough for anyone - well I'd argue you've completely lost perspective.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
I think you hit the nail on the head. A loaded RE is now creeping dangerously close to $100k msrp. Once you crest the $80k price point, you lose a large percentage of buyers, regardless of greatness.
Power Bucks in 2020 will be needed unless they just pull back on production numbers imo. I may have one more new one in me but not if it’s going to be over $80k. It was why I didn’t pull the trigger on a Demon back when msrp was available at numerous dealers. Not spending over $80k, don’t care even if it’s a Demon. I think I’m the guy you described, a dwindling customer for a $70-90k car lol.
But, that is just us being victims of greed/inflation, not bad cars. If a supercharged 426 had come out (LOL - not going to happen (y'all need to see a therapist about that RS BS)) or an ACR Challenger is on the horizon (I'll believe it when I see it) would you feel $100+K is acceptable because it is "new" and "exciting"? Because that is just skewed.

My HC was less than $60K US after discounts (before taxes, fees, and financing) - I am still astonished at the deal I got with respect to value for money. Style, power, performance, and relative quality.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
Truly my only issue with an older(16+) Hellcat is no apple carplay.
How ridiculous is that??
They've got me strung out on horse power AND a cellphone!
I actually prefer the older hood style.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
But... why do you feel you need something new every 5 years? Change for the sake of change is wasteful. The industry has you convinced that you NEED change or you are losing out. Losing out on what exactly? I need someone to explain that to me.
I have bought more than one vehicle because an "improved" version is on the horizon.

When/if a new Challenger comes out, will it look better? In my mind, that's extremely unlikely. But it's a fairly safe bet that it'll have more gizmos and doo-dahs that I don't want.

Indeed, 700 hp and what the '18 Challenger does for me is enough. More than enough, really. It has, and continues to, exceed my expectations.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
So as a bit of a self proclaimed vehicle whore, I’m always looking for the next big thing (doesn’t mean I buy, but I always look) I have to be honest, nothing on the market really excites me anymore. Maybe I’m spoiled with the fleet I have in the garage (2012 Power Wagon for a daily driver, 2016 Challenger Hellcat, and the wife has a Colorado ZR2 she loves) but the current market in what I consider affordable is just a major bummer. I’m hoping the 2020 Super Duty in the Tremor Package with the 7.3L Gas Motor is a hit, and I’m cautiously optimistic about the Rebel TRX, but nothing else gets me excited. Anybody else feel this way?

View attachment 9208 View attachment 9210 View attachment 9209
Define affordable, I think it all comes down to what your budget is. For me the leases on charger wb are probably gonna suck so I'm excited to see what I could do on an M5 which is actually rated about 700 hp, awd and actual tech in the car like massaging seats. If I were a 2 door guy the c8 is a Ferrari type competitor at a fraction of the cost, I guess it just depends on what you are into, tech is being updated daily and if something like an 800 hp car came out with the ability to drive itself that would be a dream, on commutes just let the car do its thing and then when you wanna drive it just get on it.

OP
04Ram2500Hemi

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
Thread Starter #16
Define affordable, I think it all comes down to what your budget is. For me the leases on charger wb are probably gonna suck so I'm excited to see what I could do on an M5 which is actually rated about 700 hp, awd and actual tech in the car like massaging seats. If I were a 2 door guy the c8 is a Ferrari type competitor at a fraction of the cost, I guess it just depends on what you are into, tech is being updated daily and if something like an 800 hp car came out with the ability to drive itself that would be a dream, on commutes just let the car do its thing and then when you wanna drive it just get on it.
I think “affordable” depends on each persons budget. My Hellcat was a brand new leftover 2016 in October of 2017 that I paid $55,000 for. That was definitely affordable. For me it’s hard to get past $70,000 (and that’s a bit of a stretch). Take a look around anymore and see what $50,000 or less gets you. Again, your definition of affordable and my definition may be worlds apart.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
I think “affordable” depends on each persons budget. My Hellcat was a brand new leftover 2016 in October of 2017 that I paid $55,000 for. That was definitely affordable. For me it’s hard to get past $70,000 (and that’s a bit of a stretch). Take a look around anymore and see what $50,000 or less gets you. Again, your definition of affordable and my definition may be worlds apart.
Right that's what I was getting at, I think besides affordable though if you are not big into technology then the newer cars don't offer what you are interested in, if the charger hellcat had adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, heads up display and massaging seats it would be the perfect car, though I guess at that point it becomes a 90k car so maybe it's overpriced at that point, but what I'm trying to get at is the new cars are forced induction, smaller engines, more tech and quiet, aside from budget that's not most of you guys here cup of tea, the m5's exhaust note in no way compares to the hellcat, you need a downpipe and to delete all of the resonators and muffler to get even near the aggressiveness of the hellcat exhaust.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
But, that is just us being victims of greed/inflation, not bad cars. If a supercharged 426 had come out (LOL - not going to happen (y'all need to see a therapist about that RS BS)) or an ACR Challenger is on the horizon (I'll believe it when I see it) would you feel $100+K is acceptable because it is "new" and "exciting"?
The answer is a hard no. I dont care what comes out, a Demon 2, a new Cuda, supercharged 426, - don't care, not spending $100k for a toy. I’m sure I’m in the minority but new and exciting wont sway me. The Demon wouldve been the one and even that didnt.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
The answer is a hard no. I dont care what comes out, a Demon 2, a new Cuda, supercharged 426, - don't care, not spending $100k for a toy. I’m sure I’m in the minority but new and exciting wont sway me. The Demon wouldve been the one and even that didnt.
I mostly agree with that, besides a 100k demon none of these cars are remotely good value for 100k, and challenger acr or not I don't think the boxy shape of a challenger is gonna translate well on a track, most track cars are very curvy and their cockpits are a lot smaller than the challenger. Trackhawk at 100k is overpriced, and a possible charger wb redeye at 100k is overpriced.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

Thing is, I would have said this about $75k before I got my current HC, now that I'm in the game, $90-100k doesn't seem like such a leap...