Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2020 GT500 goes 9’s

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Nice!

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Im curious of the DCT limits in this car. Although if anyone was really serious about drag racing it will be ditched for a glide

I have a late summer C8 build that im thinking of walking away from because of GM's stance on tuning and the DCT limits.

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Im curious of the DCT limits in this car. Although if anyone was really serious about drag racing it will be ditched for a glide

I have a late summer C8 build that im thinking of walking away from because of GM's stance on tuning and the DCT limits.
Good question. I'm also curious about how well the aluminum blocks will hold power (Both C8 and GT500), before needing sleeved/reinforced. Usually iron blocks hold a bit more power, and aluminum blocks are better for weight savings.

Looks like they also will need to do more tuning work to get this car figured out better. Lots of mods just to barely touch 9s.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Kong on Mustang will be soooooo different than on our Hellcats.
Ford has Ford Racing.
Linda :)

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
If you watch the next video, the guy is saying 940rwhp, ID1300 injectors, JMS Fuelmax V2 Dual fuel pump voltage booster, kooks long tube headers with off road pipes, BMR Suspension diff bushing lockouts, level 2 cradle and IRS support brace, VP C85. Along with the mods listed above.

1.63 60ft. Sounds like they need to get that 60ft down more.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Very nicely modded!
Linda :)

Member ID
Reactions
City
Cokeburg
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 hellcat redeye
from what I’ve heard the dual clutch trans is what will be hard making up for as far as 60 ft times.,

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I knew this car was going to be a handful, give it a year when the aftermarket and tuners have their way with it. What impresses me the most about this, the car did this on 20" drag radials. There's likely quite a bit more time to found there with some 15" or 17" drag radials.

OP
PIPO

PIPO

Member ID
Reactions
City
Manhattan
State
KS
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 C7 Z06
Thread Starter #10
I was impressed until I found out the rwhp numbers.

Phast Hemi

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SHELBY TOWNSHIP
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Chall SRT Hellcat Redeye
Here is the mod list as published by the NMCA: Screenshot_20200103-193628.png

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Cool. Fast is fast.

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
from what I’ve heard the dual clutch trans is what will be hard making up for as far as 60 ft times.,
Yup that's what I've been reading too. I mean is there more in it? Sure probably. How much can the DCT take though after they take off torque management? They have 940rwhp and can only manage a 1.63 60ft? My Redeye can run 1.4x 60fts stock on tire. If the argument is they were on 20's then why spend on the money on other mods when wheels/tires should have been the first then? Granted the DCT is meant for more than just 1/4 mile. However, since it's 1/4 mile we are discussing here I see serious drag racers ditching the DCT in favor of another transmission. Especially if they start going threw them after torque management is turned off. DCT has it's place, but after all those mods I'm loving my A8. A Hellcat can go quicker than that with similar mods, not to mention a Redeye can do that and quicker on tune ONLY (E85). Granted they just started tuning, but to be excited about a 9.9 with 940rwhp seems underwhelming to me. I don't doubt I could easily cut better than a 1.63 60ft on 20" drag radials, stock Redeye. We shall see how things go after the TCM is tuneable and torque management is taken off. So far as a drag racer though out of of the box the DCT isn't impressing me.

TEXAS REDEYE

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
PASADENA
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 HELLCAT RED EYE
Just put on my FRC for the flames that may be thrown my way.

Sorry guys, I'm really not impressed. My Redeye with just 2.85 upper, tune (plain 93 tune, no E85 or 109 tune), demon springs, cat delete, and Mickey 17" R, full weight......in good weather ran a 9.92 @ 137, compared to all the mods this car has and the lighter weight of his car that ran a 9.93 @ 140 with a claimed 940 rwhp. My dyno was 716 rwhp on a stingy Mustang dyno.....so things like dyno, track conditions, and weather are variables and I understand that.

For all the mods listed and dyno number, I was expecting mid 9's at the worst. Perhaps with a driver mod or more break in miles on the car the times will drop, I really hope so. That's a lot of mods for a car that supposedly runs around 10.9's or better in the quarter, bone stock. I totally agree with MaxCarnage that they may need better tuning and a better 60', and I also agree with blkout that the car needs 15" or 17" rims with some Mickey ET R's or some other tire.

I'm sure given more seat time and tuning time, plus different rims and tires this car should improve it's time greatly.......but again, with the mods listed and the starting horsepower of the bone stock car to begin with, I'm not impressed.

Lastly, I'm not bragging on my car, but using it to compare. I do like Fords, perhaps my disappointment is similar to the Demon owners who expected a 9.65 and didn't get it. Given the mods listed and the hype, I was just expecting more.

Let the flames begin.

Last edited:

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
, perhaps my disappointment is similar to the Demon owners who expected a 9.65 and didn't get it.
They didn't get it because they aren't race car drivers. They didn't get it because they ordered the cars incorrectly (fat and stupid). They didn't get it because they were ignorant thinking it was a point and shoot 9.65 second car (if you want that you start with an 8 second Super Comp car).

The GT500 doesn't have a torque converter. No K-ratio, no torque multiplication. Consequently, it is leaving a lot on the table. Apples to orangutans.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
The stock dct may not work but don’t underestimate the ability of the dct if and when they improve it it will be a beast , I’ve seen the gtr with a dct run low 8s in person

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
The stock dct may not work but don’t underestimate the ability of the dct if and when they improve it it will be a beast , I’ve seen the gtr with a dct run low 8s in person
Sure, after the owner poured $35,000 into transmission upgrades: https://www.kamispeed.com/products/hks-transmission-gear-kit-w-clutch-for-gr6-nissan-gt-r-r35

https://dsportmag.com/the-cars/features/hks-gt1000-nissan-gt-r-r35/3/

Since this comparison got my attention, I thought I'd dig into it a bit - come to find out that Nissan GR6 DCT has some interesting siblings: http://www.gtrheritage.com/topic/1539-info-on-the-original-design-of-the-dct-for-the-gt-r/

Stock GR6 torque capacity: They show a maximum input torque for the GR6 transmission ranging between 500 to 575 Nm which is 369 to 424 ft-lbs, which is curious as the new 2012 is rated at 608 Nm or 448 ft-lbs.

BW's DCM is able to up that to 1000Nm:
https://www.borgwarner.com/newsroom...livers-dual-clutch-module-for-zf-transmission

My point in all of this is don't assume that a GT-R's DCT has the same abilities as a GT500's DCT - they come from different manufacturers and are different applications. With all of that said, I don't think you guys realize just how good you have it with the ZF A8 in these pigs. I wouldn't trade the simplicity of a torque converter and the benefits of torque multiplication for a few miliseconds of shift time in a DCT.

Also... what asshat is spending $35K on Mustang transmission when you guys are going "backwards" to TH400s to save a penny? ;)

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I never said it was cheap 😂😂but I wouldn’t be surprised if the mustang guys are running right along side is very soon

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States