Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2020 Drag PAC goes with Whipple....

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Word just got out that in fact what is under that locked 2020 Drag PAC hood is going to be a new Whipple. I have been hearing that Whipple is coming out with “big news” pertaining to the Gen III world and maybe this new 3.0 L Whip is it. I’m kinda surprised that they couldn’t get what is needed out of the 3.0 IHI. I would think that if they could have gotten the results with their Hellephant SC, they would have preferred to go with that. Apparently this new Whipple turned out to be superior in this application. The COPO’s will be running Magnuson’s 2.6L and the Cobra Jets will be using a 2.9L Whipple. Not sure what the differences are between that 2.9L and this new 3.0L are besides that little bit of size. Whatever it is.... I have a feeling that it’s an improvement over the 4.5L we’ve been using.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
My impression has been that for "big" power that the Whipple's have always been the better solution. For a more "streetable" solution, that the IHI's were far better.

Again, no direct experience, just what I've gathered from others reporting back, so to me it makes sense that they would go with the Whipple.

I guess there is some level of surprise that they got away from an in-house vendor however...

OP
Marc W

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #3
I am also surprised that they couldn’t get that Hellephant 3.0 to do what they needed. But... this class is competing for every hundredth of a second against the best in the business and apparently they are not willing to give that up to stay with the in house piece when they don’t have to. The info available so far doesn’t say what improvements are to be revealed with this 3.0L. I’m betting it’s not anything like the 4.5L. Speaking about the drivability of the Whipple vs the stock IHI... it has been my experience that the Whip is superior. My experience is with a 7.0L engine that isn’t even close to stock so that’s not a blower only comparison but I have to say that the Whipple I’ve experienced is a delight to drive. So smooth and responsive I’ve been amazed. The biggest problem with the 4.5L Whipple has been one of efficiency for that size. They have a built in air charge cooling issue. That can be addressed to a degree by chilling the coolant, but a better answer has just been introduced by Gearheads that we are going to use. Looking forward to good results!

Best Vapor

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Valrico
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
They run in the factory race car class and have rules to stay in the same limits of one another In no way to make more power then the 4.5 If building a bigger build a bigger lung is needed to get more Lbs and create less heat.Either will be more then thrilling to anyone buying either. Besides that starting with a stock hellcat is a Beast of a starting point