Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2015 Hellcat/Chrysler 300 transplant build complete

Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I have located a nice transplant build of a hellcat charger into a 2015 Chrysler 300.... my question is for folks in California as that's where I live...this build is registered in NY but if I purchase it I am wondering if CA DMV or Smog will prevent me from registering the car in CA..... who can help me?? thx

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Smog may not be an issue but if it fails the new PCM tune check you may be SOL.

Member ID
Reactions
City
San Diego
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I bought a brand new stock unmodified vette from a dealer in PA a couple years ago. They shipped it to me in San Diego. Went to register it and they told me they wouldn't register it until it was smogged - even though it was brand new.. Went to smog station and it failed - "not ready" This is common when the battery is disconnected or goes dead , computer resets and it has to be driven so it can test all the emission stuff.
They tell me drive around for a few days and it will eventually "go ready" Well after 200 miles still wasn't ready. Then I started calling dmv and found they have smog referees that handle cases like this.
I had to take it to some place out in Rancho San Diego and they inspected the car , tested it again,
( failed still not ready ) they verified car was 50 state smog legal and gave me a waiver and I was able to register it. Few weeks later I tested it myself with my scan tool and it was ready .
Don't know about your case since it is not a factory configuration for that car... Sorry I can't help more
but make sure you check with dmv and also have seller put scan tool on OBD port and show you the screen
where is says vehicle is ready for smog testing , also verify no check engine light..
Good luck

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
Boy, I wouldn't touch that one. Unless it's maybe $10,000 and you can afford to lose it if the car gets confiscated by the state. I don't know how much they want for it, but if its the conversion I saw on Utube in the guy's 1 car garage, their's no way I'd trust that thing to run good for the long haul, plus the DMV hassles you'll go through in California. How much do they want (?) and then there's shipping of course. If you prove me wrong, I wish you the best.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Nope it’s Calivenzuela which will I’m sure pass even more stringent laws and your dead in the water.

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
California sucks, I just saw someone post on Instagram over 5 bucks a gallon for 91 octane.. if they want to get rid of gas cars maybe consider actually building an infrastructure to charge EVs

Last edited:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Ok........I've been down this road when I lived in California.

The first two questions to get answered are:
1. Is the car a California emissions car or a 49 State car? Have them send you a pic of the emissions sticker under the hood. If it's a "Federal" or a
"49 State" car, the Calif smog stations have the smog calibration for that in their computers and will run that program vs the California program.
2. Is the transplanted engine the same year as the car body? Newer? Older?
a. This mattered when I did my transplant because if I was just "replacing" my old engine with either a rebuild of my old engine or a same year
engine, then I didn't need to do anything special to smog and re-register my car, and no one was the wiser.
b. If I was using an older engine in the car, then I would have to make that engine match the smog requirements of the car body (you can't go
backwards in smog compliance).
c. If I was using a newer year engine (which I was doing), and wanted to use the newer smog equipment (newer style cats, etc), they (CARB) had
no problem at all since in their eyes I was updating the car to more modern smog compliance. I was using a newer crate motor in my older car
because it had more power, I could legally equip the car with true dual exhaust, I was using the newer computer system, etc. This was important
because the new crate motor had the "Calibration Sticker" for that engine and the computer would show that as well. This is probably related to
what was mentioned above about "tune check".

This was my experience years ago. I talked to someone at the Air Resources Board before I purchased anything to make sure they weren't going to give me any problems with what I wanted to do. I think I threw them for a loop when I was actually wanting to put a newer engine and newer smog equipment into my older car when most people were trying to do the opposite.

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle