Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

17" wheels for rear?

rookerrobert

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ridgeland
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 hellcat A8 and 2016 M6
I'm trying to find some 17" wheels for rear I only run at the track maybe 3 or 4 times a yr. and I dont want to pay a big price just something for a 2 305/35/17 M/T radials any help would be appreciated. I have to race stars but there only 17"x7" and I dont think I could get a tire that would help much for that wheel

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Did you check Billet Specialties?

OP
rookerrobert

rookerrobert

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ridgeland
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
no but I will.....looks like I'm going to have to buy 2 race star's at least I know then they will fit correctly. there about the chipset I can find. I just dont want to spend a bunch of money for just 2 or 3 weekends a yr. but already have the m/t's and there 17" .

OP
rookerrobert

rookerrobert

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ridgeland
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
I would just get 2 mustang wheels but cant find them in 17" and they fit with centric rings

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I would just get 2 mustang wheels but cant find them in 17" and they fit with centric rings
I would never run mustang wheels on my car. This topic has been brought up before. They are close but still not the same 115x5 114.3x5

Also most race wheels should be using centric rings. I have them on my forgestars.

Don't cheap out a couple hundred dollars on a 70k car

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I bought some racestars since they were the cheapest I could find. I hated the stupid lugnuts and kinda liked the looks. I ended up coming across some used forgestars ( Zs old wheels) and bought new rears to match. No stupid washers and they go on with ease. Not only do they look better but the front set up is 8 lbs lighter
Spend money on best looks to you or lightest not cheapest, you will be happier in the end

OP
rookerrobert

rookerrobert

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ridgeland
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
yeah your correct....I'm going to get the race star's Thee 7x17 race stars I have and just sit...they fit my scat pack but wont on the hellcat. Thanks

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I was in the same boat years ago and wanted cheap and actually did the Mustang thing for a while. Cobra wheels were 17x10 and they worked but looked like ass LOL. I ended up going all in and got a set of Weld S71 17x10s. Weren't many options back when I bought them and they were pricey but have served me well for over 10 years. When I got the Hellcat I had to get new front wheels since the Hellcat brakes were so big the Weld fronts wouldn't fit, sold those, and bought Racestars. They're light and work, but yes the lug nuts can be a pita. I found using a short socket made things a lot easier.

More options are out now though.

OP
rookerrobert

rookerrobert

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ridgeland
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
yep you right the lugs do suck....and yeah I found about short socket also ans I always start mine by hand.I ended up learning the hard and used the power tool and had to replace 2 rear studs

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
yep you right the lugs do suck....and yeah I found about short socket also ans I always start mine by hand.I ended up learning the hard and used the power tool and had to replace 2 rear studs
Other choices out there so you don't have to mess with them. I change mine enough going to the track I want it as easy as possible. Takes me 20 minutes to swap all 4 out. Would take way longer messing with the washers

Slipaway16

Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartle Skeet
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Trackhawk
I have some JMS Avengers. 17x10. I mounted a set of MT 305/35r17's and ran the car at the track for 2 passes. I sold the car and tires, but I still have the wheels and lugnuts. They are chrome. I'd let them go for $300 for the 2 wheels and nuts. I'm in NC.

Attachments

OP
rookerrobert

rookerrobert

Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ridgeland
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
thats good deal and I appreciate you letting me know. But I'm looking at VMS wheels there price isn't bad I may go that route.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
18" Bravados are a good buy from Summit Racing. I've run them for 3 years.

I run VMS on the front and they're a good wheel for the money.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I bought some racestars since they were the cheapest I could find. I hated the stupid lugnuts and kinda liked the looks. I ended up coming across some used forgestars ( Zs old wheels) and bought new rears to match. No stupid washers and they go on with ease. Not only do they look better but the front set up is 8 lbs lighter
Spend money on best looks to you or lightest not cheapest, you will be happier in the end
Go the cheap route...and you usually get what you pay for...

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Go the cheap route...and you usually get what you pay for...
I bought some used racestars and put them on once. Actually a friend of mine put them on. Sold them. They suck trying to get the lugnut and washer right without stripping the stud.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I bought some used racestars and put them on once. Actually a friend of mine put them on. Sold them. They suck trying to get the lugnut and washer right without stripping the stud.
Let me offer some advice concerning the RaceStars and the shanked lugs…. Back a few years ago when I had a set of those…. The lugs were the worst example of Chinese made junk. Best thing you could do was throw them away and buy some higher grade versions from Gorilla. I don’t know if RaceStar has changed that situation by now or not. You can get super high grade shanked lugs from Billet Specialties now. The root cause (🫢) of the big problem with the RaceStars is reusing those compression washers. They function as a lock washer of sorts and if they are flattened by over torquing, they will bind up in the wheel and cause the nut to tear up the threads on the lug. So…. The rules to live by with RaceStars is…. Get quality shanked lug nuts (go with open end). Lube the lugs beforehand. Always use a new washer and torque them to spec. Never over torque them! There! 🤓

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Let me offer some advice concerning the RaceStars and the shanked lugs…. Back a few years ago when I had a set of those…. The lugs were the worst example of Chinese made junk. Best thing you could do was throw them away and buy some higher grade versions from Gorilla. I don’t know if RaceStar has changed that situation by now or not. You can get super high grade shanked lugs from Billet Specialties now. The root cause (🫢) of the big problem with the RaceStars is reusing those compression washers. They function as a lock washer of sorts and if they are flattened by over torquing, they will bind up in the wheel and cause the nut to tear up the threads on the lug. So…. The rules to live by with RaceStars is…. Get quality shanked lug nuts (go with open end). Lube the lugs beforehand. Always use a new washer and torque them to spec. Never over torque them! There! 🤓
My thought is not to buy racestars in the 1st place. Jon has the recluse and they don't use the washers. Not sure why the stars have them:unsure:

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
^^ I'll 2nd the Recluses, they use the same basic lugnut as stock, so finding a set of Gorilla's or equivalent is pretty easy.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
My thought is not to buy racestars in the 1st place. Jon has the recluse and they don't use the washers. Not sure why the stars have them:unsure:
The washers are cupped. They are labeled as “wheel side” meaning that they go in with that side down. When that washer is “crushed” it creates a tension on the nut that acts like a lock washer so the lug won’t get loose. If the washer is over torqued or used over and over again, it will flatten out to where the diameter is too large for the space it is in. That’s where the problems come from. I agree with the “Just don’t use RaceStars” but they are an economy wheel that isn’t that bad if you know how to deal with the shanked lug/washer issue.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
The washers are cupped. They are labeled as “wheel side” meaning that they go in with that side down. When that washer is “crushed” it creates a tension on the nut that acts like a lock washer so the lug won’t get loose. If the washer is over torqued or used over and over again, it will flatten out to where the diameter is too large for the space it is in. That’s where the problems come from. I agree with the “Just don’t use RaceStars” but they are an economy wheel that isn’t that bad if you know how to deal with the shanked lug/washer issue.
I wouldn't say I struggled with it, just didn't like it